Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a tape measurer, I need you for a second...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Nov 29, 2000.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Can I get some of you guys with lift kits to go outside and measure the height of your truck from the top of the front hub straight up to the bottom of your fender directly in the middle?
    The reason is I've got an 84' with a 4" lift and my brother has a 6" lift on his, I've got about an inch plus on him in tire height, but my truck sits 3.750" lower then his. I'm starting to think that I have a 2.5" lift, but I dont see how this is considering I run a 36" without rubbing even in full flex without a swaybar.
    Let me know the size of your lift as well as measurement. Thanks to all that respond. Stock measurements would be appreciated also.

My measurement is 23 1/2" from top of hub directly up to bottom of fender. From ground up to the same point of fender my measurement is 41 3/8"

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Good try but we put the lift on ourselves its for sure a 6" lift.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well here is the deal. A 6 inch lift has springs with much more arch. They are usualy stiffer than a 4 inch also. Your 4 inch springs probaly have settled some to boot. Sounds like his lift was recent so his springs may not have settled yet. Also there are some issues with weight. If you have a winch and a heavy bumper and he's still running stock that will give you a different reading. How much junk is in the trucks? Is the junk behind the back axle? Even if the weight is the same if the location is different it would effect your reading. If the weight is behind the axle it would act like a lever and lift the front some. If it's between the axles then it would press down on the front if that makes sense.
    Also springs are rated in the minimum lift for the average truck not end lift. The manufactures do not know the weight of your truck and stuff like cases and trannys heavy dudty cooling packages so they always rate them lower than they are since a truck with a TH350 and a 205 will be about 150 lb lighter than a truck with a 203.
    I have Rancho 2.5's on the front of my truck and my truck sits 3.75 inches taller than my wifes stock 79 both dead empty mine with a heavier front bumper but other wise should be close to the same weight. I have a shackle flip in the rear and since the weight in my truck for gear is behind the axle I sit tail low with the hard top on and over 4 inches in the front whith gear in it. Hard top off I sit level. Unloaded I sit high in the rear with the top off level with top on.
    Hope that make some sense of all the varables you and the manufactures have to take into account and why you have such drasticly different readings. The best thing I could recomend is measure a stock truck and then see how tall you are over stock.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm runnin' 33's on a 4" skyjacker...near as I can tell...I'm 24" from the hub to fender, 40" from floor to fender...my tires stick out since they are on 10" rims, so I can't get quarter inch accuracy...hope this helps...JD

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

From top of hub to the bottom center of the fender is 28 1/2
    From the ground to the bottom center of the fender is 46
    I trimmed the fenders alot!
    6" Tuff Country lift TH350 and 205

79 Blazer 6"lift 35's locked/4:56 http://www.keith.coloradok5.com

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 81 Jimmy with a 4" Rancho lift and 35's. Center of hub to fender edge.....26 1/2". Fender edge to ground 42 3/4".

My lift is about 6 years old. No winch, 80 lb bumper with a Hi lift on it.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

my 85 k5 from center of hub to fender is 23 inches even.32bfg a/t's stock springs

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you have a sway bar disconnect and he does not then that will affect it also. With a 6 inch lift and no sway bar correction the sway bar will actually bind the springs and make them sit slightly higher.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

im measuring 24" on the nose. 2 1/2" explorer pro comp lift thats about 3 years old (and still really stiff). sway bar connected. new urathane body mounts about 6 months ago. no body lift. got me on your height dilemma. hope this helps.

EODBRIAN

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

26" from hub to fender, 46 from ground to fender. New Tuff Country 3" lift, sits low in the back.

90K5

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 Jimmy w/4" ProComp lift and 33" M/T's. 27" from top of hub to bottom lip of the fender, and 43 from the ground to the same spot.

13. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Trying to measure lift is a puzzle. I measured the overall height of my '91, compared it to the value in the specifications section, compensated for tire size, and figured I had 3.5" of lift. When I measure from the top of the hub to the center of the fender cutout I get 23" (24.75 from the center of the hub) and from the ground 40". Tires are 33's. Compared to the measurements most of you took, my lift must be about 2".

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all that responded with their measurements.

15. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This is a very interesting post that shows how different most K5's are. There apparently must either be sum fuzzy math here or some people are running some extremely tall 33's. The difference in the measurement from the hub to the fender and the ground to the fender should equal the radius of the tire + about 1.5" if you measured from the top of the hub.