Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a TBI setup! Now what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Erich_in_AZ, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine gave me a TBI setup he had in his shed for a couple of years. I guess he finally decided he wasn’t going to ever get around to using it. I graciously (and quickly) agreed to take it off his hands. My question is, now what?

I have the computer, throttle body, fuel pump relay, intake manifold, sensors, wiring harness (Some of it had to be cut, but is easily repairable), etc. As far as I can tell, it’s all there but a fuel pump, and the O2 sensor. Oh, and it was off of a 5.7 liter.

I want to use this in the rig I’m building, but I am new to the injection world, so I don’t even know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions for sources of info on the conversion of carb to TBI? I need to know what fuel pump to use, etc.

Thanks,
    Erich

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

verify your cam is computer compatible, and if it isn't you will have to change it. after that you just put the new heads / top end on, and figure out where to hook up your sensors. I'd suggest getting with somebody in your area that has a TBI so you can take note of where things go / hook up if you have questions.

3. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

I am planning on the cam, but why the heads? I know about the different angle of the middle intake bolts, but that should be the only difference, right?

4. solowookie

I would assume you would want to do heads, or use your old intake, and get the holly adapter that allows you to bolt your TBI up to a carb intake (probably the cheapest).

check out <a target="_blank" href=http://www.howell-efi.com>howell industries</a> - they sell a TBI conversion that uses the stock carb intake.

also don't forget fuel pump &amp; return line issue...

5. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be doing the same swap on my truck in the summer. How the heck can I find out if my cam is "computer compatible"? It's a stock cam from my target 350

6. solowookie

I don't know, but a new cam &amp; lifters is $130 so wouldn't break the bank to change them (and would probably get more power with a non-stock cam)

maybe somebody else will know if your cam is computer compatible.