Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a Ticket This Morning ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Oct 4, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I got nailed this morning for 22450(a) cvc Failure to stop at a stop sign. This was on campus. His statement for me running it was I was showing off. He said there was no way a stopped vehicle would chirp tires around the corner from a complete stop. I told him that yes that's how my truck worked but he wasn't having any of it. The Ticket shows I was doing 5mph at a 0mph spot. anyways long story short I was very pleasnant with him even with the citing officer being not so friendly--his supervisor standing behind me was very nice. He tried to get me on all kinds of other stuff, which I talked my way through. Also giving me crap about my address and registration--but whatever

So what are my chances for fighting this? I have tuesday morning 8:30am court date. Also what is my fine looking to be, anybody know. This is my first moving violation ticket. Will that help me?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My old 73 Camaro used too chirp the tires everytime you put it in gear. (Majorly built 383 Stroker with a built TH350 behind it.) I had a few officers that didn't know anything about cars, let alone a built street machine ticket me. I explained in court each time and the tickets alway got dropped. Maybe talking too the county atty. might help. They can drop tickets also.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's worth a shot...maybe you could take 'em out to the parking lot for a demonstration. :haha:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Tell them you have a welded differential causing both tires to always spin at the same speed. because of this, when you are turning the inside tire will always chirp:wink1:

5. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Fight it

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Keystone Kop?...I mean "Campus Cop"? So there's your homework assignment, blast away at them with the technical stuff, and I would want the citing officer there if at all possible. Make them suck it back up.

7. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

consider yourself lucky, i did the same thing (leaving starbucks still in the p-lot) and the Undercover cop that pulled me over said "chirping" of any kind is reckless driving so thats the ticket i got. I told him i was welded in the rear and there is no chance i cant chirp the tires, and the officer said, "i have a 600 horse mustang with a posi so i know what a locker is and told me to **** off and that i was full of chit." **** all that 1,500$ fine + a couple of trips to court. I wish i just got a speeding ticket for 5 mph over. If your ticket is a basic infraction, id fight it and go to traffic court. Cheapest way in the long run.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

go to traffic school

unless the officer doesnt show.... which is unlikely for a campus copper as they arent as busy ... and would love the court overtime,,,
    as far as fighting it...
    tire chirpping has nothing to do with the cite... it was for failure to stop...not exhibition of speed.... his observation and testimony will have to be about the stop sign.. did he see you roll thru the stopsign... which he stated he did... he might tell the judge the fact of chirpping tires as an aside but the evidence weight will be on the stop sign

the fine varies from city to city in Cali... from about 68.00 to about 208.00 for a stopsign.... and points,, IIRC 1 but I cant remember... traffic school.. about 35.00 would keep the points off your record.. although some insurance companies still find out and jack your rates

the officers demeanor also..will have little to do with the ticket.. unless you can prove bias.. which you cant...

traffic school.. call the court clerk at the address and number listed on your cite and ask them about traffic school... you can also sign up the day of your cite... but investigate this ahead of time

cam

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the inputs. so far what I'm going with is I'll try and fight it. I really don't have anything to loose. I've written everything down that was stated as close to perfect as I can remember. I'm really going for the hope of a no show. I know it's really his word against mine so there's not really too much I can do about it. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible--not giving them anything specific about the truck unless I have to. Cause let's face it it's not like our trucks are 100% legal if you wanted to get nit-picky about it.

I did write a very professional letter about the officer and how he handle the situation and his attitude. That will be sent in after the fact.

any more thoughts or things anyone can think of are greatly appreciated.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Not necessarily. There are some judges out there that tack on court costs if you lose. For example, your courtesy notice says pay $50 for the ticket or fight it in court. You go to court and lose. The judge then says to go to the clerk and pay the $50 find and the $25 court fees. I've seen this many many times. On the other hand, maybe you win. It's a crapshoot. Sometimes it is educational to go and sit in traffic court to see how your area is. In my area, the officer wins about 97% of the time. Not good odds for the defendant. In other areas the percentages may be more in your favor. No matter what, the officer has the edge.

You better have a defense ready for when he does. There is nothing worse than pissing of the judge when you stand up there stammering and stuttering because you didn't prepare anything to say banking on that no show. It is obvious and that is where the spanking from the judge comes in. Cam is right, the officer will testify as to the specific violation he cited you for. You need to have an answer for it other than the officer is wrong. The officers conduct will never be considered by the judge and if you bring it up, as too many do, it will have no bearing on guilt or innocence, but could make the judge irritated with you and cause them to lean towards a stricter punishment if you are found guilty. Judges get sick of people trying to weasel out of cites by using the officer was a jerk excuse. It doesn't address their behavior, just the officers.

And you don't think the judge and officer already know this? If you can't beat the ticket on the facts, then you are already screwed.

If the officer was truly rude, not just cold and impersonal, then sending in a letter is ok. However, I can't count how many times I've seen somebody complain that an officer was rude just because the officer didn't smile, act jovial, and try to make the event pleasant. You are getting a ticket. There is no way to sugar coat that. If the officer was professional, didn't cuss you out, belittle you, or act like a complete asshat, then why snivel about it? Some think that it is good payback against the officer but that is just pure immaturity in my opinion. Don't you think the department knows that lots of people who get tickets whine about the officers conduct as a way of getting back at the officer? A mature adult accepts when they make a mistake and moves on with life having learned a good lesson. In your case, if you truly feel wronged, pursue it. To me the hallmark of how far our society has fallen is watching so many people that get caught breaking the law try and beat the rap not because they weren't wrong, but because they just want to get out of the consequences. What an object lesson for others to place more importance on whether or not you can get away with something, rather than doing the right thing or not. I'm not saying this is your situation, just ranting I guess...................:crazy:

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Where exactly was he at when he observed you run the stop sign? Did he have a clear and un obstructed view? Check the details, if he was in a place that was obstructed at all challenge his being able to see exactly what happened etc. What time was it at? Subpoena his log book, check the time of the citation aginst log book, is it accuarte? One of the guys I used to work with was un real when it came to this stuff, surf the web for a way to challenge and win a traffic citation. Your not guilty unless its beyond a reasonable doubt.

12. Desert Rat

In California, there is no log book. The judge will look at the section cited and decide guilt or innocence based upon who is more credible on that specific testimony. If you can prove that the officer could not have seen you, then you may win. You better have a slam dunk defense though. I've seen people come in with tons of pictures, graphs, charts, etc. and then lose miserably. I remember one case where the defendant spent 20 min. producing all kinds of pictures. When the judge asked the officer to respond, the officer walked up, pulled one picture from the giant pile, showed the judge and said "this is a perfect picture of my view of the intersection and you can see that I was able to see the limit line, the light, and all three lanes." The defendant lost and looked like an ass. As for those website, good luck. They are on the Internet. Cops and judges read them too.......

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Makes me wish I would've remembered the name and city of this cop that pulled me over a few months ago outside Denver... I would love nothing more than to send a nastygram to his supervisor :mad: I didn't get a ticket, but he could sure use a kick in the nutz...:doah:

14. Desert Rat

If you get a rude cop, ask for a supervisor at the time. Whining later just looks like sour grapes. The officers supervisor can deal with it and if you aren't satisfied, then you have some recourse later on.

15. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm not writing the letter just because. In this case the guy really seemed to have a bad attitude towards everything. It almost seemed like this was his first time doing it and he was trying to be tough.

total NEWB:haha::haha:

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I couldn't agree with you more. I recently got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt. When the officer pulled me over and asked me if i knew why he'd pulled me over i said no. (I did see the officer and tried to get my belt on but apparently he seen that and pulled out after me). Needless to say when i told him i had no idea he said, "partner, you weren't fast enough getting that belt on back there". I was caught and i knew it so i took my punishment and paid the $89.00 ticket.

I onced learned in traffic school (that was taught by a CHP officer) that you should look back at how many times you've done whatever it was you got the ticket for and did not get caught. You know, the optimistic side not the pessimistic side of things.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The way I'm reading this is that he deduced that mtnman didn't stop BECAUSE of the chirp.
    So did he actually witness a failure to stop, or did he conclude that b/c of the chirp that you had not stopped?
    Still word vs. word and he has an edge.

18. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

do what i do, it works. The first court date is an arraingnment, just say not guilty and you want to fight it. They will assign you a court date according to the officers days off. Just find out what days the officer has off, this is public record for the community and the schedule is a month by month basis. Then reschedule your court date to one of the days he has off. Usually, and i say USUALLY they dont want to work on their days off. Worked for me about 4 times out of 5. good luck

19. Desert Rat

In Santa Clara County, the judges will call up the department and raise holy hell if the officer no shows without notifying the court ahead of time they cannot make it. And, there is a list of criteria that is approved for missing court. An officers day off isn't one of them. Officers risk discipline from their department and possible sanctions from the court for not showing up in court these days. As for an arraignment, when you get a traffic court date, that is your appearance. The presumption of a traffic court notice is that you will show up and plead guilty or not guilty on the spot. If you plead guilty, the officer leaves and you take your lumps. If you plead not guilty, the case is heard right then and there. You don't get two bites of the apple unless it is a misdemeanor. Also, many agencies pay overtime at time and a half for showing up on a day off. It isn't as big of an inconvenience as you think. So think about it, you are going to have an officer show up and collect one and a half times their hourly rate, paid by you and your fellow taxpayers, to show up in court.

20. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Court time.. cha ching cha ching.... watch the salary double... some coppers write ALOT of cites and make ALOT of arrests just so they can depend on having courtime... you come to depend on that extra 1500 a month...
    think about it.. what would you rather do... work overtime in a radiocar and be tired.. or be tired and sit around a private room for coppers at the courthouse waiting to be called with your eyes closed, talking to momma on the cellphone, B.S.ing with other coppers, working on stock options, or hitting on the court secretaries (if you arent married)....

I think we can just about depend on the officer showing up

trafic school traffic school traffic school

you can go every three years in Cali and keep you license clean... do it...
    If a copper ever wrote me that is what I would do (of course we would have had some choice exchanges by then I imagine)

Listen to RAT.... we are giving you GOOD advice from the badge side