Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got AIR? (Long, boring post)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goober, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Have you ever said to yourself "I'm sure I can get a few more miles out of these tires."

I did ........ a few months ago!

I've been holding off getting new tires for the Suburban until I can get the new axles completed this summer/fall since I'll be going to a much larger tire and I really didn't want to spend the extra cash. Recently, I have been cringing everytime I look at the racing slicks on the truck so I decided I really better do something quick.

As I was trying to figure out how to come up with the cash for some new tires, I found a fellow CK5 member with an extra set of good used tires he wanted to get rid of. So we worked out a deal and I just gotta drive to his place to pick them up. (Thanks <font color="orange"> jekbrown </font color>, see ya next weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

So, here I am driving down the road yesterday thinking everything is cool when all of the sudden "BLAM......THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA" Oh crap, I blew up a tire! "No problem" I'm thinking "I've got a spare".

By the way, have you checked the air in your spare tire recently? I checked mine yesterday .... in the pouring rain as I pulled it out to put it on the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So, as I'm rolling my flat spare down the road (did I mention that it was pouring rain?) I got within a block of the tire store and a guy (local fireman) pulls up in a pickup truck and asks if I needed a lift. I told him "what I really need is a tire" so we tossed the POS spare tire in the back and drove back to my truck, pulled the busted tire off the truck, drove to the tire shop and they hooked me up with a good used tire and reset the bead on my spare and balanced them both for $10 cash... no receipt.

I got off pretty easy, this time. Aside from getting a little wet (big deal, it's always wet in Washington) and having to spend a little cash ($10 for the tires and $12 for the box of donuts I dropped off at the firehouse this morning) I was lucky I was in town. It could have been much worse. Now I'm just holding my breath hoping that the rest of the tires make it for another week until I get some different tires on it.

Lessons confirmed:

1) Firemen are cool, even the ones who drive FURDs.
    2) Slicks are great for Winston Cup cars but they suck on a Suburban.
    3) Coloradok5 members ROCK!
    4) I still hate rain.

Lessons that I already knew but ignored:

1) Check the air in your spare often!
    2) When your tires are no longer serviceable ... get new ones.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

I know what ya mean. Me and my friend were always ridin round his grandma's old 70 chevelle 4-door,man we made great memories and hundreds of stories in that car. This is when he needed tires both of us were broke we used every last bit of tread on a tire. well he was gettin paid and was going to put new tires on the car. Well the day before he left work and noticed that wires were stickin out of the tire. Now I don't mean we could see the wires I mean they were some actually frayed and stickin out of the tire. Well we noticed the tire was pretty bad but we were goin to sit at home over a tire. Now we didn't just rode to grocery store every night we would put 250-300 miles on his car a day. Still on the weekends I do about that in my truck. Anyway back to the story we were going down the road and the wires were puttin off sparks. So we some how till the next day. You should have the look on the guy's face at the tire place when we told him we thought we might need tires because ours were showing a little wear. Believe it or not that tire is still holding 3 years later. I was in my nova last week when my spare went flat. I didn't want to leave the car because it was in the middle of nowhere and somone has been stealin broke cars in that area off th side of the road with a wrecker. So i told Dennis to any tire he had with the same bolt pattern. The only one he had was that one so he brought it to me and just to be safe I wrappped it with 3or4 layers of ducttape and rode 36 miles home. I should go buy a lotto ticket cause I am one lucky son of a #####.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wrappped it with 3or4 layers of ducttape

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be a fan of <font color="red"> RED</font color> <font color="green">GREEN </font color> !

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

cool beans on the donuts to the firehouse.
    classy.
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

for sure man!!! ducttape will fix ANYTHING!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1) Firemen are cool, even the ones who drive FURDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup they are...and still are when they laugh at you when they come to get ya down from a man lift that stopped runnin...FAWKIN MAN LIFT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif sorry man but that is too funny. i bet it had to suck to be up there for a long time. later.

jacob

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i was up there for about 45mins-to an hour...i got bored and wanted to see how high it went up...got about 45-50 feet in the air and the motor died..and i was screwed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thank god for cell phone...oh yea the emergency operator was even laughin at me...i dont under stand why its so funny /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif