Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got an 8" lift? Tell me about the font end!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Sep 8, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Got an 8\" lift? Tell me about the font end!

I'm trying to take a poll of what people have for their front end set up when going with an 8" lift. How does it ride (soft - stiff), what does it consist of (manufacturers - custom), what were the unexpected pitfalls (camber or caster issues?) and most importantly would you go the same route if you had it to do over? I'm ready to go buy once I get some real world feedback from those who actually use(or abuse) their suspension!

What, Me Worry?

2. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Re: Got an 8\" lift? Tell me about the font end!

I got a 75 Jimmy with 8" super lift and its a ruff ride. steering sux, got to do a cross over setup. I hear that going with a shackle flip and smaller lift springs would be a softer ride, and get better flex.

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Any lift that high will require custom built springs (like Nationals) if you want it to ride decently. The 12" Nationals on my Suburban ride like a cloud and flex like mad, whereas the 10" Superlift springs on my dually ride like crap and do not flex worth a dang!

ken

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Got an 8

Thanks for posting that on the Superlift, I've been seriously considering them for a good long time now and was hoping someone had taken that route. I'm totally with you on the 4" shackle flip and the 4" springs for the rear but that still leaves the dilema of an 8" spring in the front ( perhaps a custom welded 2" front shackle flip, 2" front hanger drop, 4" front springs and a welding job of the spring perches on the front axle to rotate their position back toward the transfer case). Someone has to have hit this before and come up with a real winning combo. Thanks again for the Superlift info and let me know what you end up going with.

What, Me Worry?

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I hear Nationals are of excellent quality and performance and cost every penny of it. What kind of a drive train is under your Suburban? This might be right down the lines ofwhat I was looking for.

What, Me Worry?

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

1977 Suburban, 12" National springs (all 4, no blocks), ORD front shackles, crossover steering, Dana 60 front, FF14B rear, TH400-203, 454, 39.5" Swampers on 12" Welds. The NAtionals cost me $1100 for all 4 back about 3 years ago. They are 11 leaf spring packs and ride fantastic. Worth every frigging penny. Just save your money and buy the best, you will not regret it. Although you will regret Superlift!!

ken

7. Re: Got an 8

i think thats the best idea. drop the spring hangers down a couple and get some hill shackles. while your at it put some rear springs on the front for an even softer ride sense you are going to be fabbing the front spring hangers anyway.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can't go wrong with either National or Deaver springs - they are custom built to your vehicle, ensuring good ride quality, and awesome performance.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like quite a nice rig ken, did National ask about the tires/geering you planned on running or just weight on travel? Any pics of your truck, sounds mean!

What, Me Worry?

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Blue Beast, do you know of anyone who has taken this on before, I'd like to use their experience with it before I start a trial and error session? :)

What, Me Worry?

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

What do you currently run on your K5 Pugsley, it has a good stance? I like the bumper set up on the rearof your truck, light and effective!

What, Me Worry?

12. Re: Got an 8

which part? the lowered spring hangers or the rear springs on the front? Twiztid has 52 inchers on the front of his rig, he can fill you in on that. as for the lowered spring mounts its kind of a fab your own thing. i've mostly seen it done on mud trucks but i think it would be a cool way to have a taller lift with a soft ride. i've seen guys just make a new cross member welded across the bottoms of the front frame rails right below the rad. supports made out of 2 or 3 inch material. then they mount thier spring hangers to that. also check out the write up on Big Burg in the october issue of four wheeler. look at the close up of his front suspension on page 48. he custome made lowered spring mounts. it says he has 8 inch springs up front and 6 inch springs and a shackle flip in the rear. so those lowered hangers must give him a couple more inches. looks hell for stout too.

<font color=blue>American Pie 2-"Have you seen my flute?" "Yeah, I stuffed it in your box."</font color=blue>

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Right now I've got 4" Superlift "SuperRide" springs in front, and 2.5" blocks with an add a leaf in the rear - It's not too bad, but the OEM rears have had it - It's lost ¾" of ride height in the rear over the last 6 months.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check that out those back issues and try and follow up with Twiztid. The funny thing here is its not the money thats stopping me from just buying a set of Nationals, its more the curiosity around potentially making something better. I've been toying with the idea of eliminating the leafs all together and going with a 4 link and coil overs. Bilstein has a 6100 series that looks promising but again, it comes down to finding people who have run them in different conditions and figuring out where the compromises are.

What, Me Worry?

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a similar setup on my blazer right now, Pugsley. I have the Rancho 4" leafs on the front and 4" blocks on the back (bought it this way, without shocks too). Spotted a crack in the main drivers rear leaf today which hastens the need to get the suspension replaced. If I finish getting the motor in tomorrow then I'll give it a short spin and go flex the front up a bit to see where I'm at and make a final decision.

What, Me Worry?

16. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

What does a Superlift "Soft Ride" ride like? How much does a 8"-10" lift from National run? I was going to go with 12" under my '87, but the "boss" said NO!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

17. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I paid $1100 for my 12" Nationals (all 4) a couple years ago. This was through Deaver Spring in Santa Ana. I was required to weigh the front and rear of my Sub so they could build them specific. When I installed them, they were about 15" of lift, I played hell trying to get the front ORD shackle to hook up to the spring, but they settled in to 12" lift after a week or two of sitting (I didn't drive it, although if I had, they probably would have settled sooner). One thing I do notice is that I will probably need even longer front shackles, because these things flex so much that even the ORD shackles allow the rear of the spring to contact the frame. Nationals are truly works of art when it comes to springs...military wrap, teflon rub pads, etc, etc.

ken

18. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The SuperRide rides far better than OEM, and definitely better than the "mystery lift" I took off of it.

Clean up on aisle 3!!

19. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I have 8" Skyjackers on my '88. They ride pretty good. I also have 8" rear springs too. All four springs have 1" ORD add-a-leafs. I have a drop pitman arm, drag link, and steering arm. The steering is fine. You would also need to get swaybar drop brackets to make the thing work. Any questions about any of this, e-mail me at blzr4x4ngkid@aol.com. Good luck!

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!