Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got an awesome freebie saturday!! *pic's added at bottom*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Sep 27, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

A guy stopped by and asked me if I wanted a grill guard for free for my K5 on Saturday. So of course I said yes. He brings it by an hour later or so and this thing is built. It has 3/8" thick side plates and wraps under my bumper and bolts to the frame.

Now here's my question:

I am thinking about just removing my bumper all together and bolting on this grill guard. Then this winter get some tubing and weld it to the guard to make a full bumper out of it. What kind of tubing would you recommend? I haven't decided yet if I want to go with 2 smaller tubes on each side or one larger tube on each side yet. I might have an opportunity to get some thick piping from work that was on our old fuel system. I do a little bit of everything with my K5. rocks, mud whatever. Would regular pipe hold up as well as some good tubing bouncing off of a rock? The pipe is anywhere from 1/8" to a 1/4" thick. I haven't seen the inside of it yet, but it's good old fashioned pipe that's about 40 years old. It's not this newer plumbing pipe you get these days.

Also, I plan on getting some steel plating and welding it to the inside of the grill guard for a winch mount. Would 1/8" be thick enough or should I go with 1/4" thick. If I do the winch mount, I plan on making some brackets that will go back to the inside of the frame to help hold everything in place. This won't be done in the near future, but I hope to have it all done by our first run next spring.

Thanks in advance, :thumb:

Rick

P.S. I'll get a pic of it in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Definately stay away from pipe. Pipe doesn't have the required strength we need for our rigs.

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

why would you say pipe is not strong enough for our rigs ?
    just curious , :confused:

i know i made my bumpers on my s15 out of 3" pipe 1/4" wall and they have worked great. i have yanked people out of mud holes with them. i also got nailed by a toyota camry doing about 20mph. it was fast enough when she hit my rear bumper, it peeled her hood back about 18" and shoved the grill,and rad into the motor. all it did to my bumper was put a 1/4" deep scratch in it. :D

4. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

how about a pic of this free bumper?

5. gn4u2c

gn4u2c 1/2 ton status

My front is made of 8inch tall c channel I assure you everything else will bend before it does. Just drill some holes in it bolted to the factory mounts

6. rick88blaze

Here's a couple of pic's of the grill guard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said before, the side plates are 3/8" thick and it wraps up under the bumper and bolts to the frame. I'm going to try and get it on this weekend and I'm debating on just taking my front bumper completley off and just running this up front. :thumb:

Rick

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

The tubing that's usually used for rollcages and stuff, what we all like to call DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing, is usually made out of 1020 or 1024 mild steel. I'd just use that instead and not take any chances.

8. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

at the very least run HREW

9. rick88blaze

What kind of shop would I look for that would carry that kind of tubing?

Rick

10. rick88blaze

Here's a before and after pic of my K5 with the grill guard mounted up and the bumper painted black. I think it looks a whole lot better with the black than with the chrome. :thumb: I will eventually paint the trim around the grill and mirrors black too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]