Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got an idea for an adventure for '07.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by badmix, Oct 23, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I get Off Road adventure mag and watch their TV show along with Superlifts TV show. They actually go to some interesting places. Id actually like to take a week or two and do an 4x4 expedition to places in Utah, Nevada, etc.

What im looking for is to find Miles and Miles of mining trails with some cool stuff to see along the way. Id like to mix it up with primitive camping to small one horse town hotel/motel staying. I dont mind roughing it at all, but if I can get a small group to go, it would be cool to visit and stay in the lil hole in the wall towns along the way.

Im hoping to get 3-4 trucks if possible. Id like to go in the Fall of '07 when the weather is nicer, not hot or humid.

If anyone is serious about wanting to do something like this, lemme know. I realize its pretty far out as far as time dates go, but this trip would take some planning and prep work for sure. Rigs would have to be able to go the distance and be self supported, etc.

Im planning on mapping out a route in the next month or so and see what kinda time line ill be up against, Id like this to be a casual, non rushed trail ride to check out the old mining towns and be a diff. change of pace for most. This is the kinda stuff that im build and modifying my truck for. Something I can take practically anywhere within reason and be treated like a DD if need be. Anyways, I jus thought id throw this out there. Obviously im coming from FLorida, so meeting and hooking up on the way would be the thing to do.

Soap, thats my idea. What ya'll think? :D

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Colorado is full of stuff like that.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah that was one of the destinations I was thinking about, it would also be more middle of the map type deal. So, more ppl from all sides maybe can join in. Like I said I need to research towns and trails, etc. I know at certain times of the year alot of valley areas get really bad rains and flood out the roads, so I wanna go when that wont happen, etc.

If anyone else has any tips, ideas or other locations im all ears.

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Weather here is pretty good, really. You'd want to look at July or August for a time. Any earlier and you may run into old snow drifts that haven't melted yet and any later you may get into the first snows at high elevation.

Some really cool stuff though. Tincup is one of the neater places because it's a live "ghost town", meaning that it's an old mining town that a handful of people still live in and try and keep alive. But there's no gas station or anything like that. Only a little merchant store.

I'm sure if you were to do a big event like that almost all the CO Crew would show. I know I would.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Okay thats cool. I jus found a lil info on that area. looks promising, looks like there are primitive camping along the way ,etc.

My thing is, I dont want jus another OHV park. I want wide open, desulate land, hoping not to run into crowds of ppl and all that.

6. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look for any post from mrk5 and check out his Photobucket Gallaries for the type of trails we run here in Co. Look for trails in the Central Mountains of Colorado. Counties such as Park, Lake, Chaffee, Jefferson and Gunnison, these were some of the most productive mining areas in the state.

fred2mihi

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You could divide the adventure into legs or particular wheelin' spots, so that people who were close to a particular leg but couldn't run the whole thing could go wheeling for a day or two. Maybe some of the CK5'ers in different locations could jump in and show you around their home spots.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  8. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

This is kinda what i was thinking also. Be nice to get some to do the whole haul, but I understand. Once I get a layout of the route, ill post up my itenrary and ppl can chim in.

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i'd be interested in teh possibility...

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i would love to do something like this but time is normaly the problem

11. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

I spent a few days driving thru the deserts and mountains of Arizona last year and the Mojave a few months before that. Beautiful place. I bought a map that came with overlays of old maps from the 1800s that show towns and camps that no longer exist. Routed out a trip linking the old town along with real ones for fuel/food. I found an old gold mining pan and a fork during one of the stops at an old mine. Best time I have had in years. I could not get to far off of the beaten path as there were no other vehicles with me and spent all of the time on the old roads. One leg of the trip near a place named Crown King (If memory severs) took about 6 hours to go less than 100 or so miles.

What does this have to do with your trip? Nothing except that it brought back the memory of my trip. I would be very interested in something like this.