Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got an idea in my head- think it will work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Mar 4, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Was thinking this weekend- the rear power window really s*cks...so I picked up a new drill- with the dedicated job of running the window....which started this thought process.

If I were to drill a hole in the tailgate cover which I currently can not replace- or I'd have to take it off everytime I wanted to raise or lower the window...and somehow- attache the cable through that hole- so there is just about 3/4" or so of the actual cable sticking through the hole. The cable covering would be behind the cover- so you woudnt see it. Then all I'd have to do is stick the drill on the exposed end of the cable- and walla- the window would go up and down. I'm thinking it would have to be attached in a fairly strong manor- as the RPMS of the drill really spin the cable- which in turn puts "stress" on the cable covering.

It seems to me like a heck of a lot less than trying to figure out what wire goes where, since the wonderful PO hadnt a clue when it came to electrical.

so, what do ya think- will it work?

Brandy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not just replace the motor and wire the beotch up? Brown is down and blue is up. If you have a functioning key switch on the tailgate the orange wire provides hot to the switch there...

The drill works but requires you to crawl back there and look like an idiot every time you need the window down...

Rene

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well- ya see- the PO decided that "these wires must not go to anything"...and removed "chunks" of them....If it were as simple as just reconnecting them I'd do it- but im not into replacing wires- and finding out which one is cut where- etc. etc. Besides- I'm small- climbing in the back is no problem...I have to climb in everytime I take my kids with me. Plus- last summer- it was down for weeks at a a time.

Do you think it'll work or what?

Brandy

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I think it'd work.

IF you want to get real slick find a way to hook a speedometer cable to the cable in the tail gate then you could roll it up and down from anywhere in the vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

wow- thats an idea!

back to the drawing board!