Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got an old '53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire carri

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jul 10, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

got an old \'53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire carri

i got an old 53 6400 series 2 ton chevy grain truck and top speed is 35 which doesnt surprise me, its 2 speed old eaton corp GM axle, can i swap the entire carrier with another one with lbetter gears liek 5.13 or 4.57 ?
    does donor carrier have to be 2 speed also or would the H110 11,000 lb 1.5 ton single speed eaton carrier fit and work ? i dont care if i lose low range in the axle, id prefe rit was single ratio anyways

or does anyone knopw who to ask or where to ask ? or ?

thanks

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: got an old \'53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire carri

Maybe an axle out of say a 70, 72, 1 1/2 ton would work? As long as it's wide enough. and You can somehow connect the driveline, brake's, etc. why not? Cabover?

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: got an old \'53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire carri

i wonder if even if i could maybe find one of the optional-for-1 ton dually H110 HEAVY 1 ton dually axles would bolt under this 6400, say a 67-72 era axle... or... if it HAS to be at least 1 1.5 ton axle, unless H110 is technically 1.5 ton axle, H110 was 11,000lbs axle, std equipment and very common eaton axle under the 1 tons dually or not were the H072 7200lbs axles so.... hmmm

ive never seen an H-110 axle but ive seen tons of H052 and H072 axles and they are the snmallest eaton dropout carrier axles 1947-72 only and are single speed of course and smaller pumpkin, so i can safely rule out a 3/4 ton or 1 ton carrier of all the yuears of the eaton dropout centeraxles,

i need to do some reasearch online or somewhere on the H-110 axles next it looks like,

does anyone know of any places where manuals on eaton axles would be ? library is a definite no, so hmmm...

i dont know what axle model is under this 1953 6400 truck, i am 75% sure its 6.17 ratio,

5.13 was in the 1 ton duallies H072 axles and only came with dually R05 rear wheel converson option but carriers all swap with the h052 and single wheel ho72's i know, since are same exact axle except brake size, but the H1110 might be larger pumkin and i know they have the square axle shaft tubes instead of round like on 52 and 72 model axles.

so hmm..

H110, hmm....

thanks for anything at all. i hope to find a way to get a taller/higher gear ratio into this 6400 truck.

i have a good start with being thayt i know of the 52 and 72 model eaton axles, but 110 i dunno alot about cept for axle tubes change and 11,000lbs rating, also the wheel studs were not same as the normal 8 lug 3/4 and 1 tons, i heard they are 5 or 6 lug large truck pattern

i forgot which pattern, its been a while for me... the internet holds very little info on these old Eaton axles, have had very few results in the past, but its time to try some more, its been since last year, hopefully somebody somewhere has entered some juicy 1947-72 eaton model axles info

if anyone has a large chevy truck from 47-72 then please lemme know, larger the better, (with the big big wheel stud pattern) id liek to find out model series and year of the truck, and also the leaf spring pack spacing measurement center to center*

this 6400 truck is 42" spring perches spaced form each other center to center, and carrier cover is right about 14" and i dont know what they are ont he 3//4 ton and 1 ton eaton axles 72 and older

anyone know/got one to measure for me ?

i could have made this reply post shorter but i didnt /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif heh

thanks

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Most of the later 70-76 truck's had 2 speed axle's also, so just a matter of finding an old eaton, rockwell or something and hanging it under there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It would'nt matter if it were out of a C50, C60, C70, truck, GMC had em too.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so are you saying that the larger eatons larger( than at least h072) made it past 1972 ?
    were the two speed eaton housings same as the single speed eaton housings of the same given model of eaton axle(H150 for example- in which does exist i just found out on a yahoo search!!) ?

what i mean by that is if the difference from the big eaton 2 speed axles to the big eaton single speed axles is just in/on the removable carrier itself ? or is it more than that ?

theres a big flat pad on top side of axle above pinion stem part of housing that says EATON and a bunch of numbers all over it, codes, i ened to clean the piss out of that tommorrow and see what i can find out maybe possibly

thanks!

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

recap/additional info/queries :

want to find out what model this eaton axle would be under this truck, if it helps any it looks to have 14" diameter cover and removable carrier and 2 speed equipment mounted to carrier, and has round axle tubes and 42" spring packs- center to center measurement and has 2.5" wide leaf springs with aux above mains mounted packs. theres a big flat pad area on the top side of the carrier and it says EATON nd a bunch of other number codes are stamped here too. does anyone know if these numbers will tell model and year and ratio and such ? how can i decode any of these and which do i decode to find out info on the axle ?
    and then finding out what all eaton axle carriers i can fit on this housing- whether they be single or two speed ones

thanks

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Randy, are you sure the 35 mph wasnt in low in your rear axle? You should be able to get 45-50 mph in high gear I would think. Anyway, I dont know much about those 2 spd's but you should look at the Stovebolt page forums /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You should be able to find more info over there.

BTW, get some pics even if you have send them to someone else on this board to scan for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sorry, this is OLD and BIG truck, its in hi range in axle and 4th gear in the SM420, thats all she has with that 103 hp 235 engine.

what trucks have you driven around 16,000 GVW like this one out here ? and how old ? OLD trucks back then got some deep ratioso, they didnt believe in going very fast or in gas milage back in the 50s, this wasntuntil the 70s when ratios jumped higher to around 5.13 and 4.57 for big trucks.

even 5.13 and 4.57 doesnt let you go much more than 45-55 mph with a non-overdrive tranny, so...

how axle ratios to RPM's-inclined are you ? :P i know you know alot just form at least 4x4's and such, ive gone beyond a few years ago after having a few 5.13 ratio 67 and 68 1 ton duallies. they run 45 if you really oush the engines,

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: got an old \'53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire c

4lo.com Has a gear calculator. You just type in your trans ratio (should be 1:1 in high gear), tire size, and RPM's at a certain speed, and it will give you your axle ratio.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Re: got an old \'53 6400 chevy with 2+4 axle and tranny, can i swap entire c

cool yeah, but one problem is that i have no idea RPM cuz no tach in the truck, not available yet back then probably no room for it in the dash

thanks

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry, this is OLD and BIG truck

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that very well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I grew up on a farm about 3 hours away from you and drove them old trucks every fall. Empty you should be able to get 45-55 mph (55 mostly going downhill). 35 seems too slow but you were probably just taking it easy.

I would not want 4.57 or 5.13 gears with 8.25x20" tires and a 235 I6. You would have no power pulling a load. Remember the diameter of the tires is part of your gearing.

My avitar is my 1954 International RC-162, 16,000 GVW, SD240 I-6, 2 spd rear...