Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got another Crew Cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 12, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

1981 K30 Scottsdale with a 292 6-cylinder, TH400, 205, and 4.56 gears. I've had a "Canada Crew Cab", have a "Utah Crew Cab" and this one is the "Alaska Crew Cab". I didn't drive to Alaska to get it, but it used to be one of the company work trucks used during the building of the Alaskan pipeline. It's sat now for about 10 years. Next week I get to try and see if it will fire up and run.

ACC1.JPG

ACC2.JPG

ACC3.JPG

ACC4.JPG

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

holy jebus man!!! you need to stop... its getting out of hand!!!!
    good work though seriously :thumb: :bow: :bow: :bow:

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So what does this put the Dana 60 tally at? :D

4. mountainexplorer

13, not that I'm keeping track. ;) 15 sounds like a good number to stop at. I have my new "Zebra Suburban" project that I came up with in my mind the other week so it will need one, and my '72 Jimmy is ready for one too.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good score!

I have only seen a few 292's in one ton 4x4's,yours is the first TH400 4x4 one I've seen or heard about!..all the ones I saw were SM465's..I bet that motor has had a beating hauling that truck around,even empty!..but they are hard to kill,I wouldn't doubt if it will still run--but its probably going to smoke if its sat that long..they are pretty tourquey for a six cylinder..might have a 6 bolt torque converter like a diesel too,most TH400's in 2wd trucks with the 292's did.. :crazy:

6. mountainexplorer

It has just over 30,000 miles on it. It was left running most of the time when in use at the pipeline. It has a hour/minute gauge on it to keep track of the hours of running time on the motor. I think it was 1054 hrs and 35 minutes or something like that if I remember reading it right.

After the pipeline, this guy bought it and brought it down here to Washington. It was used a few years around their farm and acreage. Then in '96 they stopped using it... so I guess 9.5 years since it was parked. Recently they guy passed away and his wife sold it.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Allen I commend you on you efforts to land crew cabs, however put some effort into landing a new trailer :D
    I have my set up for sale :D

8. mountainexplorer

The trailer still keeps on going. Though it probably shouldn't without some more major reinforcing.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Awww, thanks, man. :bow: I'll fly up next week and take my pick.

(I wanna see a pic of all your vehicles in ONE picture....make it happen. Can't? Then you have a problem. Try, though.)

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It does the job..!

I have marvelled at what you've hauled on that trailer since I've been on CK5!..especially the amount of weight you carry,--(those crew cabs are not exactly lightweights!)..and the long distances! :eek1: ..is that thing just a couple of mobile home axles and drive on ramps,as it appears to be in your pictures??....it must be built pretty rugged despite its rather crude appearence..it reminds me of all the stuff I have..crude--but effective!..

Its probably a good thing I don't have a car trailer--it would undoubtedly haul many more vehicles TO my yard,than it would take away.. :doah: :p: :haha: ..

11. mountainexplorer

You can take your pick from this section of the field. ;)
    [​IMG]

12. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Geeze man share the wealth lol. Ive only seen probly 5 Chevy Dana 60's in my life and the same goes for crew cabs, especially 4wd ones. They must be more plentiful wherever youre at because I looked for almost 2 years before I found a Dana 60 for sale anywhere around here and the guy collects them like you and wants $800 for one. Theres bound to be one you dont need lol it will be going to a really good cause and under a nice truck and will be well taken care of. :D

13. mountainexplorer

It was also fun going over the small Chewelah Pass, where there was snow and packed ice on the road going downhill, and the trailer brakes aren't hooked up. And I put new pads on the front of the crew cab last week, and the old half worn pads stopped loads this heavy or more twice as good. These pads got so hot they nearly caught fire!

The trailer has both amazed and scared many people before. It used to be a 28ft Travel Trailer from the '60s. When we got it for $500 in 1996, it had been made into a wood deck hay hauler. I added wood ramps made from 2x4s and plywood laying around and hauled many cars on it until 2002, when tires started falling through the wood deck. http://image24.webshots.com/25/3/21/35/38232135gJVdtx_ph.jpg

Though at one time I had it looking all nice and painted with wood railings. :D
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/30804775/30805274VsvsSavFqE

In 2002, we added a metal deck and ramped over fenders.

It tows nice and handles alot of weight. Here's this year's heavier applications:

'82 Crew Cab K30 with a Dana 60 front and 350, and alot of stuff in and under the truck.
    [​IMG]

'80 Crew Cab K30 Dually 70 rear with 454, Dana 60 and flatbed
    [​IMG]

'74 25ft Motorhome frame with 454/TH400, 14-bolt, and a bunch of stuff piled around it including a go cart frame, 3 wheeler and mini-bike.
    [​IMG]

Stepside with Dana 60, big block and winch.
    [​IMG]

My GMC with a 60, 454, winch and alot of other heavy accesories.
    [​IMG]

I need to get a welder so I can fix it up more.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Alan will you please stop taunting us :crazy:
    Nice score

1000 hours doesnt sound to bad, and you said it jsut sat running so, i bet the only part of the drivetrain close to warn out is the motor.

15. mountainexplorer

Yeah, from what I understand from talking with the lady who's husband worked at the pipeline, it just was always running with the heater going, and only distance it would traverse was hauling people or supplies back and forth.

It "ran when parked". I have a friend who wants the 292 for his 4x4 El Camino project, and he's pitching in $150 towards the purchase of the truck, which was $1200. Well, I still have to pay off a bit more then it's mine.

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When he put my crew cab on the trailer I was thinking you have got to be crazy, which i still think he is :D , the back of the trailer hit the ground and the front stayed where it was. Then he's telling me of all the other stuff he going to go and pick up and the stuff that was already on it. It is an amazing thing that trailer, how it still works is beyond me, let alone why. It like the Everready bunny it keeps going and going and going and going ............ :bow:

17. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

What's good in that field?

18. mountainexplorer

Well, lets just say you probably won't find a 60 or a big block in that section. Sorry. :p: