Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got another truck-few q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Aug 31, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i picked up a 87 reg cab long bed 4x4 last weekend for $1700.
    Its got 149,000 on it, the body is in good shape rust in the usual areas. Ill post up some pics this weekend.

Its got dual tanks, and i have only used the right side tank so far, and i have noticed that when i fill up it leaks some gas from somewhere i think its where the filler hose goes into the tank anybody had this problem?????

Also the motor seems to run rough and the check engine light will turn on for a few seconds while driving then turn back off. So far i have just replaced the air filter it was solid dirt. I think im gonna do plugs and oil this weekend.

Any ideas/tips on getting in running good?

2. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

hey man, if you have a haynes manual, it has a glossery of what your spark plugs should look like if your engine is running good. It will show you how to diagnose your engine by looking at your spark plugs. It might be burning alot of oil if you got dirt in your engine I mean like if your filter was really bad then maybe some dirt got in your engine). about the dual tanks. I have no clue. I have two doors on my pick up, but only one tank. sometimes the fuel line coming from the tank is corroded, and it leaks. that is what happened to my truck. it isn't too costly if you do it yourself.

3. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

mine did the same thing. the hose that goes from the filler neck to the tank was just rotten. replaced it and it hasnt leaked since.. that gas filler hose is kinda pricey though.. and you usually have to buy alot more than you need. if they sell by the foot. i had to buy 2 feet and only needed about 14"...:doah: but as long as you do it yourself it shouldent cost much. just the hose and maybe clamps if you dont have any extra laying around.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well sometimes my filler neck leaks on my 85 Step side because of the 3" body lift. The hose is stretched to the max so its hard to get a good seal.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I used to like the short beds alot better than the long beds b/c I thought they looked "sportier" but I have to say that I'm changing my mind a little on that. The long beds have a really cool look. I was watching one that sat idle for about a year. Last week someone hauled it off on a trailer. Maybe next tiem. Congrats on your purchase.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

My '85 had leaks in the hoses by the valve that switches the tanks.
    It leaked A LOT when using the right tank, but not left.

I replaced all the short pieces that go from the valve to the metal lines and had no problem since. Was kinda PIA. Use some vasaline or similar to get the hoses to slide on easier.

I would also change cap/rotor/wires/plugs along with fuel filter and ad some Lucas fuel system cleaner to the tanks.

7. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

on my Ford Ranger the filler neck is cracked and if you fill it all the way up it leaks. I just duct taped it up they want $250 for a new one, but I know the Chevy's are a dime a dozen.

congrats on the new truck. now lets see some pics:D

8. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i replaced the plugs today PITA lol had one of the plugs snap off on me but was able to get it out, didnt have a chance to drive it yet to dang tired. Got a new fuel filter sitting in the garage ready to go in, anybody got any tips on removing the fuel filter? i dont wanna break the hard lines on either side.

Ill get some pics later today.:D