Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got brand new Q-Jet...what next?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by turdmagnet, Feb 18, 2007.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet Registered Member

I got my hot little hands on a brand new (not factory rebuilt) Q-Jet #1902. My question is what should I do to it before installing it on the engine? This is my first carb. I assume that it will run just fine as is after proper tuning, but I want this carb to function more reliably off road. Is there some kind of off-road modification(s) I should make to the q-jet before I install it? I don't need really radical performance out of it, I just don't want it to quit on me when I'm on a steep incline, and I want the power to be there for me when I need it. Fuel efficiency is an issue to, I don't want to see the gas guage move down every time I romp the pedal. This is going on top of a '74 K5 with a 350 engine. Pretty much everything is stock.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Nope, Q-jets run very well at angles right out of the box. Some people mess with the float level, replace the vent with a taller one or even mount the carb backwards. I haven't done any of these things and I have never had any issues with it stalling at any angle.

I'm sure you'll have to tune both the primary and secondary circuits though.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

You may need to re-jet it, depending on your altitude, the little booklet explains it pretty well, use that chart.

Also, depending on what you mean by "steep incline", for normal stuff, shouldn't give you any problems. If you head uphill something, more than say 50-60*- ish, you will have trouble due to where the primaries are located in the bowl.

Backing up a hill in that case is pretty interesting:eek1: