Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Chewed Out!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 11, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I got lamb blasted for not going to the girlfriends house tonight. But it was worth it. I got to actually spend a little bit of time messing around with my new truck. I got the parking brake adjusted. I decided I would try to get the old crappy rusty muffler off so that I can replace it pretty soon. After alot of hitting, beating, grinding, prying, and busting my thumbnail practically off, I got the old muffler off. I fired it up and to my surprise, the motor actually seemed to run better than when it had the muffler. It cranked quicker and ran smoother. I was going to try to put headers and duals on, but honestly I don't think its really worth the trouble. I think I will just bolt on a new muffler so here's the question....................... I have a flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber, a buddy says he'll give me his dynomax single inlet dual outlet, or I could just run straight pipes.

Which of these would yall suggest?

2. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

On my 86 :k5: I just ran a cat and it wasnt too loud, If you never had a cat in the first place I would run the loudest flowmaster I could find, I think its the 40 series. Running strait pipes is cool for a little while but after a while it gets annoying.

3. 78Suburban

Maybe I need to get up under there and look again, but I didn't notice a cat. Were 78's equipped with catalytic converters?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think cats started in 79 (may have been 78 though) on light 3/4 ton and down... when I say light 3/4 ton... I am talking about normal gvw.. whatever that is... I got my truck as a 8400gvw camper special (cat exempt) :bow:

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

My 2 cents. There was no cat on my factory exhaust(78k5) but the 79 I scrapped had one, so my guess would be 79 came out with them. :)

6. 78Suburban

does this mean that I am exempt from complying with any emmisions standards, like the old cars and trucks?

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Should be. Don't quote me. Cops are only starting to bother with exhaust here.

8. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

my 79 has cats,pump, whole shabang :( good thing i have 1 1/2 yrs till smog recert :eek1: i vote flowmasters i love the sound of the idle and the roar when u get in to it, not to anoyong when ure spotter (mines a chick) trying to talk to u. its what i have +cats

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

hey roz...u know that they stopped the roll back in cali right? your truck will have to be a 75 or older. next year, a 76 will still have to be smogged! it sucks. my buddy has a 76 monte carlo that he will have to get smogged. so we found a 75 monte and switched the vin number plates, its the same body style. but dont count on the smog thing moving twords the newer years. they did want to try to make it 35 years but that didnt pass. so they just stopped the roll back. sorry.

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

yeah i know, i just ment i have a year and half before i rebuild my set-up or find someplace to lic that it will be legal :doah: :haha:

11. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive had Flowmaster's on 5 different vehicles... 40 series (loudest) 2 chamber, 50 series 3 chamber, duals, single, 3" and 2.5", with cats and without. I like em tho Im kinda gettin tired of 'em. My latest...73 K20 with 383 has these http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html. On something without cats and decent power they are too loud to run by themselves. Can run with after another high flow muffler to get the sound. :waytogo: And the new Smog law sucks. I almost got a sweet 76 K20 but I couldnt smog it with the 383.