Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got detroit for the frt axle do i need hydro for steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, May 31, 2005.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

got detroit locker for frt axle 60 and i have ord crossover and high steer setup. do i need hydro setup also or is this o.k. i am runing 38x12.50x16.5 tsl tires. thanks ck5ers:D

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

It would definitely be a good idea, I will never run a trail truck without it, so much nicer.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Do you need it? No.

Would hydro assist be nice in the rocks? Yes.

4. sweetk30

sorry forgot to add no rocks for me. just trail rides and playing in the mud and lots of recovery duty as thay know i am big truck.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with above. No it is not necessary but is nice to have. It does take pressure off your frame at the steering box and make steering easier which is nice. But myself and many other guys I wheeled with in AZ ran crossover without hydro assist on trucks with lockers and 35" + tires in the rocks and do just fine.

Harley

6. sweetk30

cool guys. this is going in a 88-up body style truck with s.a.s. setup home made stuff. so the boxed section of the frame will be better. any more info would be great.:D

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

rocks are the most demanding environment, but I do mostly trails (and rocky trails, lol) and hydro assist definitely helps...

j

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a detroit and xover steering.... No you dont need it.... would it be nice.. sure so would many other upgrades.... however I do recommend the steering brace.... my frame didnt crack but everyone else recommends it so that is what I did...... now you could do hydro for a tad bit more than the brace........ or do both... :grin:

one tid bit of advice... when you do drive it offroad... I always thought.. to be easy on the front.. I will just simply lock only one hub.... OOOOHHH BAD IDEA BAD BAD..... I tromped the throttle and the truck walked to the opposite side and almost smacked a tree... seems the detroit is SUPER NICE and that one tire pulling in the front slides if too much throttle is applied and the other big tire not sharing the HP is not good.....

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From my experience having a front locker is NOT the reason you need hydro assist. The reason you need hydro assist is when the tires are wedged in a rut or against a rock.

I went from 35's and a front limited slip to 38's and a front locker and felt very little if any difference in the steering. Of course there were times when I had difficulty turning the wheel while on the trail, but it was the same whether there was a locker in the front or not.