Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got DISH?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goober, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Got DISH TV?

Do you have satellite television from Dish Network?

Wanna save a few bucks?

While I was filling out my online order for a new system I noticed their cool ClubDISH program: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/offers/clubdish/index.shtml

You get $5./month credit if you refer me to their service.

I figured I might as well save someone some money soooo.........

....... first DISH Network subscriber to send me a referral code gets the free cash.

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just curious, why'd you go with dish over directv?

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The packages are pretty much the same but DISH ends up about $3. / month cheaper (no big deal) and Directv makes you pay $50. (after $49. rebate) for a separate DRV unit while DISH gives you a built-in DVR for free. DISH will give me 2 DVR receivers (free) and Directv will only give me 1 Tivo box to hook up to one of the receivers (for $50).

I've used my friends Directv system and I've used my Father-in-Laws DISH system and the DISH system just "feels" easier to use. It also has a bigger hard drive. :woot:

I've also heard stories about rotten customer service at Directv from more than one person. I rarely call customer service for anything but when I do I have a low tolerance for stupidity.

Directv DOES have the all-inclusive sports packages that you can get. They are a great deal if you watch certain sports (Football, Basketball, etc.). DISH has Fox, FX, ESPN Classic and SPEED channel ...... that covers my favorite sport. :D

Both companies offer almost identical plans and services (since they are the only ones in the business) so the price is about the same either way except for hardware costs.

So .... no BIG reason, I guess. DISH just "seemed" like a better deal and I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying new hardware.

:D

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I had Direct TV from 95 until about a month or so ago, when I switched to dish. Like Goober said, they have about the same packages.. but you save a few bucks more.. PLUS, you get a few more channels. I was not getting the outoodr ch. before, along with others like DIY, boomerang (which my kiddos love) as well as other ch's. Also, I don't have to pay an extra 5 bucks a month for the second TV.. we have one reciever, but it runs 2 TV's . We could have a second reciever, with it's own DVR for another 5 bucks.

Overall, in the time I have had it, I like it much better than DirTV. I wish I would have switched sooner. I wouldn't go back.

I should also mention that I gave DirTV a fair chance to keep my buisness, and they must have not wanted it... so I took myself, and my money else where.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Like Txfireman said, DISH has dual tuner receivers, and now has dual HDTV tuner receivers. DirectTV doesn't. With DISH's dual tuners I can record 2 different programs at one time with one receiver, plus watch something I'd already recorded on one of two TV's. So, 2 shows recording plus watching 2 different shows, all at the same time. I am a TV zombie. :p: :D

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

That would be really cool .... if I wasn't too cheap to buy an HDTV. :doah:

Do you ever sleep??

:D :D

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

No. No, I don't. As a matter of fact... I have 2 dual tuners, not one, so I can actually... uh, lemme get back to you... something on TV. Gotta go... :D

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I used to have Direct TV. Since I live in NW CA. We get a lot of rain in the winter, and it would lose the signal everytime it rained. So I switched to Dish and never had the problem again. Not to mention it's cheaper and has much better packages.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I can agree with that. We live in a valley and have gotten several hellacious storms with winds over 50mph with driving rains and not so much as a flicker out of the TV (DISH)

10. txfiremank5

Doh.. yep, that's one thing I had wanted to mention before. I got lousy reception at even the slightest drop of rain. OK, not that bad.. but if it was storming, and I was watching tv... it was dvd, no reception. I have not lost a signal with dish yet.

The only neg thing about dish is when I got up late one night around 3 am because I could not sleep, and went to turn on the tube... there was some "disc scan .. or disc something or other" going on. So, I let it do it's thing. Then one morning it's doing it... has a timer that says it's been doing it for 377 minutes. So, the kiddos want to watch carttons, so I hit the cancel button.. 15 minutes later it's still canceling. So, I unplug it to reset the thing so it will stop.. and everything is OK. That is.. until I went to watch one of the 4x4 shows on my DVR... gone, everything on the DVR was history. I guess it didn't like me unpluging it while it was doing it's thaaaang. Oh well, I'll live, but it sort of sucked at the time.

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I wondered what would happen if I stopped the scan... thanks for sorting it out :D

12. txfiremank5

LOL ... yep, that's me... "DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON" "hmm .. surely nothing drastic will happen" ...

"Oh Jesus Christ .. who pushed that freakin button"???!!!

:whistle:

That's me... making the world a safer place ... for those not standing next to me. :rotfl: What the heck, I needed to delete some of those anyway.. :grin:

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got Direct TV this past summer for the NFL sunday package. What they don't tell you about the NFL sunday package is that sold out home area games are blacked out....and you dont get monday night football, or playoffs, or the freaking superbowl! Yes, that's right. I payed $300 for the sunday ticket and had to go to a bar to watch the friggin superbowl. Why? Cause they don't have the rights to ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX in my area. I can get CBS on antannae, but the others, the channels we usually watch are blacked out. So be very very careful when you're looking at programs and channels. I just assumed that the basics would be there...don't assume this.

Needless to say when your contract runs out in July, we're getting the Dish.

Oh yeah, no contract with Dish. :D

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Well ... I gotta wait for a few weeks for the "highly skilled technician" to come out and put up the dish. That's cool .... as long as it's set-up before The Winston ..... er.. I mean the Nextel All-Star Challenge. :D

oh ... btw ... Congrats to big pappa b for claiming the $5/month discount! :woot: :woot: :woot:

16. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I enjoy my Dish Network with just about all of the goodies thanks to one of my best friends from Maryland. I get all of the east coast programming here, so I have to think about the time difference on the program guide. Sometimes it works out really well, but other times it can be a PITA to remember what time different shows come on.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Dish. when i bought it i compaired it to Direct TV and for me Dish was the better deal. more channels that i liked and a little cheaper.
    Never have had a problem with it. Except sometimes when it snows real hard and the wind is blowing snow will settle in om my dish and i have to go outside and brush it off. But its a heck of a lot better than Crappy Cable that was always blacking out. At least i feel like i am getting my moneys worth out of dish.