Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Drawn

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I got drawn for both deer and elk this year. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Deer in 36B
    Elk in 19A

This leads me to questions. Anyone know anything about these areas since I have never hunted either of them before?

Anybody have the faintest idea where to find elk in 19A? 19A's boundaries are:

Cordes to Prescott
    Prescott to Paulden
    Paulden to Clarksdale
    Clarksdale to Camp Verde
    Camp Verde to Cordes.

To be totally honest I have NO IDEA how I got drawn for elk there. I am 95% sure I didn't put in for that area but somehow AZ G&F issued me a tag for it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I am not going to complain but it think something is a little /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif.

Thanks
    Harley

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have taken a couple of small whitetails from 35B near the Mexican border. I have not had sucess hunting Elk. My last Elk hunt was about 10 years ago in area 5A for anterless, and I couldn't bring one home /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem

deer unit 21
    elk unit 6a /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    where can I find elk in that area? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    thanks
    bob

4. Hossbaby50

wheres that little flipoff icon when you need it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Congrats on 6a. Bull or cow? 21 isn't a bad area either.

I am actually kind of glad I got drawn for 19A for elk. I won't have to worry about alot of other people in my area. I just have to work harder to find elk.

Me and my boss (going hunting with me) setup a command post at work in his office. He went out and bought a bunch of Topo maps and we have them tacked up on the wall.

He is headed up Saturday to start the scouting process. We are going to mark elk sightings, elk sign, standing water, etc out on the map with pins so we have everything marked and ready for season.

Hopefully this year will be the year I bring home another elk.

Harley

5. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Congrats guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

This is the first year I put in for an Elk tag but my luck didn't work out. Not much of a chance but you definently won't get on if you don't apply. My cousin's in the Phoenix area and has wanted to take me out since I've taken him White tall and Pheasant hunting up here. Doesn't look like he got drawn either tho.

Good luck!! take lots of pics /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I got drawn for antlerless elk dec 3 - 9 in 6a
    This is first time I've been drawn, Been trying 10 years.
    Now I gotta scout the area. I know its a good area, but I dont know the roads, or where the good campsites are at
    Unit 21 for deer is cake for scouting cause its so close.
    BTW congrats on gettin drawn also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif It sounds like you and your boss are planning it out alright with the command post.
    bob

7. Hossbaby50

Ya, we are turning his office into our CP for Elk season this year. Without alot of hard work I think we will be SOL in this area.

19a only has 25 permits available but somehow we got drawn. Can't afford to waste the opportunity. Scouting will be the key to a successful hunt.

We already have a list of places to scout out and look around. I am more then happy to go drive and hike around too because the map says there are alot of "Jeep trails" in the areas we need to scout out. My boss said he knows a guy with a Jeep /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif, and I told him if the Jeep won't go there my truck will /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

At least I know my boss will be willing to give me the days off I need to go hunting since he is going too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Makes life alot easier.

Your problem with never getting drawn seems to stem from your area of choice. Everybody put in for 6a and 6b. Put in in different areas and I think you will get drawn more often. My dad used to do that. Put in for elk in areas like that. Didn't get drawn for 13 years. We changed up our choices in about '98 and we have been drawn 4 times since then.

Harley

8. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I got drawn for NADA ... I am so jealous. Seriously though, congrats on the draws ... especially to the lucky winner of 6A. That is one of the best hunts in the state, or at least has been in years past. I hunted near Apache Maid years ago and saw plenty of Elk, a few Antelope, and even stumbled onto a Bear.

As for 19A, it is the best Antelope unit that I know of (my cousin took #4 Pope and Young there), but I am not sure about Elk. I think that the elevation is a little low in most of the area, so the population is low. Lots of grassy plains and such. Here is what the Fish and Game Report on the area says:
    "Most elk in Unit 19A are in the juniper and shrub oak habitat types -- lower in elevation than hunters would expect. These areas have dense vegetation cover, so stalking may be difficult at times. The Prescott National Forest map identifies the following locations where most of the unit's elk are found: Onion Mountain (just north of the I-17/Hwy 169 junction), Boulder Canyon, upper Cherry Creek, Powell Springs, Goat Peak (note that some of this area burned during the summer of 2003), upper Ash Creek, and Burnt Canyon between Forest Service roads 413 and 132. Lower elk densities are found west of Woodchute Wilderness in Martin Canyon and CCC Canyon, northwest of Woodchute Wilderness in Munds Draw and Wildcat Draw, and near the Verde River from of Forest Service Road 638 downstream to Perkinsville (at the junction of County Roads 70/72)."
    Hope that helps ... and good luck.

9. Hossbaby50

ya, I read that on the G&F site too. Thanks for the info though. After looking at the maps today I think we are figuring out that most of the areas mentioned run in a southeasterly swath from south of Mingus mountain to south of Cherry a little ways.

I think the elk herd that is in the area is a transplanted herd and it is finally growing enough to start adding tags to the hunt. It was only 15 tags last season and 25 this season. So that is encouraging since we are in a drought and the pop is still rising.

Harley

10. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Mingus actually has some good camping spots if you are going for an extended period. If the heard is running from there to Cherry, there is one road that follows that route pretty closely. It runs south off 89A, but I can't for the life of me remember the number. Some good camp spots off that road too.

As for your deer hunt in 36B, I have done that one a few times. We generally go out of Arivaca to the south. We have taken a few deer out of there over the years. Usually you will run across very small Coues' Whitetail. They are very hard to spot. Take a really good pair of Binoculars and a spotting scope. Be prepared for a lot of hard walking. It is pretty rough terrain. Also, you need to be careful of the drug runners and border hoppers that come through there. You are basically right on the Mexican Border. Last time we went there was a camp of Border Patrol Officers disguised as Hunters. That was about 4 years or so back. Maybe it has calmed down a bit. Even so, watch yourself...I always carried a pistol close at hand. And whatever you do, don't cross into Mexican territory. It is a big mistake to shoot a deer on Mexican soil...so I have been warned by hunters that frequent the area.

11. Hossbaby50

My boss has hunted down there by Arivaca before. He said similar things. He accidentally crossed into Mexico once and was politely asked to leave. It could have been bad.

I am going to have 2 pistol with me when I go there. My .45LC hunting revolver and my 9mm with 17rd mags handy. My rifle is as of yet undetermined (haven't chosen one yet) but will likely be semiauto. If not there will be a semiauto with BIG magazines in the truck.

Harley

12. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i just found out today i got drawn for 5a elk /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

david

13. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Another good unit. Oh well, I will just have to live with my Bonus Point and hope my Archery Deer season (Kaibab Bound) goes well ... I could use the meat.

14. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

I got drawn for Elk in 19A also. Antlerless. Sounds like you are doing some pretty good scouting. Gotta get to that myself. I got lucky I think. This is the first time i put in for Elk. Cool!

--Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Hossbaby50

Which hunt number did you get drawn for? #3056? That is pretty bazar if you did. There was only 25 tags available for that hunt and me, my boss, and my roommate got 3 of them. The odds of that are pretty low but that is awesome if it is the same hunt (there are 2 different hunts).

My boss is going site seeing up there Saturday. He wants to get a general lay of the land, terrain, etc idea in his head. He is also taking pictures of the area and doing some light forest road scouting. The pics will help me with the visuals of the area and help make my desicion on which rifle I need to take up there.

I have a rough idea of what I will see but his pics will help too. We are going to do many scouting operations up there I am sure. We are all totally stoked about getting drawn and we are actually really excited about the area even though the herd populations and hunt permits are low.

I looked in the regulations book today and my elk hunt will be the first rifle hunt in that area of the year. Only archery will be in there before us. There is also a 2 week brake between archery and opening day for my hunt which I am happy about too.

Harley

16. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Hey Harley,

What are your rifle options?

17. Hossbaby50

numberous options are available to me between me and my dads collection of firearms.

I will just give you my caliber options

3006 x2
    300 win
    300 weatherby
    7mm rem mag x2
    .338 win x2
    6.5x55
    .45-70
    ...............etc

I think it is going to be my 3006 or a 7mm Rem mag of my dads. Or if the shots are fairly short my 45-70.

Harley

18. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Well, its hard to argue with the knock down of a 45-70 at short range, that is for sure. If you have some decent length shots, I would go with the .300 win or .300 wby over the 7mm for elk. There are a lot more options for grain weights. Not to say that the 7 isn't a good gun, because it is. I would say the best all around gun for big mulies when longer shots are required. However, the grain options aren't the best for 1 shot kills on elk. The .300's will give you similar ballistic tragectory at 500 yards, but will yield more energy for one shot kills. You are definitely right though. It depends on the terrain. If you end up hunting in the Juniper scrubs, iron sights with a lever .45-70 would be hard to beat.

19. Hossbaby50

I have learned the hard way that elk are tough critters. I have learned the hard way the .338's go threw elk at close range. I have learned the hard way the a cow elk can keep running even with 4 .300 weatherby rounds (200gr speer grand slams in hot handloads) in it and 1 .338 round (275gr semi spitzer handload) threw it. I would have shot it again if it hadn't started to run back toward my dad. (all pretty good shots mind you at close range). I have since realized elk won't drop in there tracks (unless you hit them with something really big .45-70ish). The last one I am talking about above was double teamed by me and my dad at about 40-50 yards. He shot it 4 times and I shot it 1 time and it kept running for a little while. He shot it twice, I shot it once, and he shot it 2 more times. He would have shot it again except he ran out of ammo in the gun. We opened it up and the lung and liver were just a thick liquid but it ran anyway.

So, if I get the long shots though I am going to take the 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Nosler Partitions because it shoots flat. I will borrow my dads Browning BAR so I have fast followup shots too. A well placed shot with the 3006, 300, 338, 7mm, etc is going to drop them in pretty much the same distance so it doesn't really matter what you hit them with as long as it is placed right.

Anything 100-150 yrds and under is going to get the .45-70 with some 350 grain round nose Hornady handloads. (arse kickers)

Harley

20. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Well you are certainly right on the .338 mag. I have seen those punch right through unless you collapse the shoulder, which isn't always that easy. I wouldn't take that for anything smaller than trophy bull, and even then, I would probably go with something else. I definitely agree on the .45-70, especially with hand loads. They have terrific punch and knockdown power at the right range. With the 7mm, if that is what you are comfortable with, go with it. The more comfortable you are with a gun, the better it will serve you. 90% of the time I hunt with a model 70 30-06. I know the limitations of the gun and I stay within them. Bottom line is that it is the gun I shoot the best with and have the most comfort with, so that is the one I usually go to.

Good luck. Let us know how you do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif