Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got E-brake?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Jun 19, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Before...
    [​IMG]
    And a few days after calling Jesse at High angle driveline...
    [​IMG]
    Took me a few hours to install it and figure out how to make my existing ebrake cable operate the lever... I made a bracket for the ebrake cable to be attached to, bolted it to an old exhaust hanger i was meaning to get rid of. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Seemed like a good place in line with where it needed to be. I just bolted the slotted bracket i made for now to have some adjustment and dial it in but I might weld it later.
    As for the end of the original ebrake cable, it had about 8" of some allthread for the adjustment for the old ebrake...The allthread fit perfect in the hole on the lever arm that comes on the caliper .. i cut it down to about 2" for adjustment and used two bolts, one on each side of the lever for the caliper...
    I Also used the original spring that was connected to the ebrake cable as a return spring for the caliper, and the ebrake pedal comes all the way back up easily when released. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It looks like a first gen without a body lift wouldn't be able to mount the caliper up top clocked at the 11 oclock position like i did or the 1 oclock position. Looks like my 1" ORD body lift makes it just enough clearance.
    If you don't have a body lift you might have to clock the caliper in a lower position? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]
    My Inital tests tell me that it works awsome... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    More testing to come at blazerfest! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

Did you have to beat on the floor like the first few kits? I want to install this as my cables went to the wayside a long time ago.

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That looks awesome!

Is the rotor just mild steel - or is an Abrasion resistant style steel?

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Very Nice! I need to do something like that to Mine.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Hey Ryan!!
    Mine doesnt work because the bracket hits the top of the T case, obviously yours doesn't. Jesse told me they were in the process of making a different bracket, do you know if thats it or not?

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, the part of the caliper bracket where the two spacers and bolts are, the bracket does kind of overlap the rear seal but it doesn't create a problem.
    The caliper bracket is hitting the t-case? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And as for the clearance, Mine fit fine with maybe 1/2" of clearance between the top of the caliper and the bottom of my floorboard. Thats why i metioned if you didn't have a bodylift you might have to clock the caliper in a lower position. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just finished getting mine hooked up tonight. I have the 10 o'clock position bracket (the bolt pattern on the tail housing isn't symetrical so you need to know where you want it in advance). I have no body lift and had to beat in the floor to get it to fit. I have a bench seat up front and you can't see it.

My "custom" cable bracket involved some angle iron with a 9/16" hole in one side and a 7/16" hole in the other. I bolted it to a exhaust hanger bracket and ran the cable through it. I also cut off about 2" from the stock cable end. I put 2 springs from Home Depot over the cable to act as return springs. You can get it clocked into a different position if you don't have a body lift and don't want to clearance the floor. You will just have to be more creative with the cable.

I have about 1/2" to 3/4" of clearance from the caliper bracket to the floor. I have brand new poly body mounts. I also have mutiple marks from where the body has hit the brake bracket /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

Looks nice. I would like to do the same thing. How much did the E-Brake Kit cost?

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

No mine doesn't hit at the floorboard. Where the cable goes through, and pulls, that lever hits on the top of the transfer case, so it wont clamp.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What position is your's clocked to?

Check out www.highangledriveline.com for prices. You have to run his 1350 CV shaft which raises the price quight a bit but if it is an uppgrade you will do sometime anyway why not now.

11. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why do you HAVE to run his CV joint?

Please explain... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

12 oclock. No you dont have to run his cv, mines from South Bay Driveline.