Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got him narrowed up front what do ya think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, Oct 21, 2004.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Probably took about 40hrs of work but he's now 15" skinner up front. I took JJLaughners idea and cut out the area between the headlight buckets and the radiator supports (7.5" on each side) then I welded the parts back together and bolted the core support back on. I then cut the fenders down at an angle, skinned the front half and moved them in so that they touched the core support and tacked them in to place. After several rounds of measure cut, measure cut I decided the body lines weren't going to match up unless I cut the fender and made it 1/2 taller at the back, so I used my grinder w/a cutoff wheel and cut the length of the fender about 2" above the body line, I then spread the top and bottom of the fender apart so that there was a v in it, starting with a 1/2" gap at the back nearest to the doors and going to a point right before the fender wraps around to the front. I secured this with a temporary brace. Once the body lines matched up I tacked the fender back together.

Next I skinned the hood and cut off the sides so that if fit in between the fenders again. But of course I cut first and measured second leaving a huge nasty looking gap on the driver side. So I busted out some 2" strap I had laying around and welded that to the edges of the hood so that it would over lap on to the edges of the fenders. Then I laid the hood back on and welded the strap to the fenders making the whole dog house one big piece. After seeing how cool that looked I decided to use some more strap to finish my body work so I welded some more 2” strap over the V I had cut in the fenders.

For the hinges I went to the local hard ware store and bought some 3.5” weld on hinges. I took the front end off welded the body bolt to the metal cup on the very front body bushing (The top of the bolt fit down nice and flush inside the cup and once welded and ground smooth gave a perfect mounting point for my hinges) I then bolted the bushing to the frame, measured and welded my hinges to the top of the bushing cup. I then muscled the front end back up on the truck and welded the hinges to the bottom of the core support. And there ya go, there is my tilt and narrow in a nutshell. I’m sure I left some steps out and sorry I didn’t take pictures as i went but here is the final result. What do you guys thank. Oh yeah and I would like to thank jjlaughner for his inspiration and help posting these photos and cybrfire for his inspiration. Thanks guys this site is awesome!

http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/DSCN2599.JPG
    http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/DSCN2600.JPG
    http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/DSCN2601.JPG
    http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/DSCN2602.JPG
    http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/DSCN2603.JPG
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Nice touch on the "tilt up".....

I like it!
    [​IMG]

Marv

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NICE!!

Now build a GOOD bumper to protect all that work!!!

4. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

What you don't like that TINY little chrome jobby? Ha! Its in the works. I wanted to build one with a big stinger on it but now with the tilt I don't know if that will work.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Stingers don't really offer that much protection anyway, don't worry about that, that's only going to protect your radiator.

It's around the sides--where those pretty narrowed fenders are that I'm worried about. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

True, how about some armor like sandmans rig? I really like the look of his truck.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Looking good. I like how you didnt go crazy on the taper. Nice grille too!

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Somehow that looks familiar.

[​IMG]

9. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif looks really good, time for some camo paint. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Familar? Nah! OK I ripped off your idea, Hope you don't mind. By the way yours looks alot cleaner than mine. Awesome. Hope to be ordering some stuff ya real soon!

11. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

nice job!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Familar? Nah! OK I ripped off your idea, Hope you don't mind. By the way yours looks alot cleaner than mine. Awesome. Hope to be ordering some stuff ya real soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey not a problem. Yours looks good. Don't sell yourself short. With the strap you put in yours its probably way more ridgid than mine. Mine flops in the wind.

Order anytime your ready. We'll get something going. Gona do a grill for mine before too long.

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Yeah mines pretty solid now, probably put as much weight in it to brace it as I took out but oh well doesn't flop in the wind at all. Thanks for all the nice comments its nice to hear after doing all that work. Wife says it look retarded. I say wait till you see what comes next! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

15. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That looks super good. AWESOME grill too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. skylar chevy girl

skylar chevy girl Newbie

Looks good, Josh. Are you still going to go with painting it red, or are you going camo? /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

18. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Hey chicky! I haven't decided yet. Still gotta narrow the rear before I paint it anyway so I have some time to make up my mind. I'm selling some of my cutlass stuff to finance the truck stuff since I'm too poor to buy any of the supplies I need.

19. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

looks awesome, thats so much work, definitly outta my skill level! This is an off topic question but, how is your light bar wired up into the cab, did you drill? if so how did you fill the hole.

20. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Yeah I just drilled thru and then siliconed around the wires. No leaks so far.