Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got hooked, Looking for information on Suspension Design.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 87GMCJimmy, May 31, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I guess I should just admit that I'm getting hooked on this. Been surfing trying to find all the information I can about suspension design. I'm finding some stuff but not much. The information I'm finding doesn't tell you what the real world affects of changing the design. None of it is geared towards a 4x4 application. I'm looking at the follow vehicle dynamics books, does anybody have any experience with these/others?

From Amazon:
    Race Car Vehicle Dynamics
    Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics
    Thoery of Ground Vehicles

ASU Engineering Library:
    Vehicle Dynamics and Simulation

Also does anybody have links to more tech articles like this one posted by K10ANDY...?

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

The goal is to design a linked suspension system....radius arm..ha..what was I thinking? I re-read the $185000 blazer story again... wow. Stephen's right about the front suspension alot of money without any flex and there's no way there getting 24 inches of travel with those short shocks!!

Thanks Again,
    Mike

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have Race Car Vehical Dynamics. It is a good book, filled with more info than you ever wanted to know...but not much on 4wd stuff. It goes over all the different types of link suspensions, anti squat/dive, roll centers, roll couples, etc. Very usefull info. You just have to figure out how to apply it (and alot of that is personal preference). It does have a section on how different changes affect how the vehical changes that is real good. It is also not a cheep book.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've been in race car dynamics and have and use the "fundamentals" book. You won't find any 4x4 info at all out there. It's all in it's infancy and nobody's really publishing much info. CORR and SCORE desert builders probably have as much or more info on how to tune the suspension as anyone, but that may or may not apply to offroad (rock crawling) suspensions. Study the warn and rubicon kits for the wranglers, that's one source of info, whether it's good or not depends on who you talk to.

I'm also not much help since I don't have a lot of it figured out and none of it's organized in my mind. I also tend to look for complete knowledge before I pass it on so I know it's right. At least as complete as I can get.....

You can learn a lot by understanding the car books and applying that to vehicles climbing instead of running flat. That's why I'm generally not fond of rear suspensions that give a lot of lift under power, if you put them on a hill and they lift up they raise the CG and over you go. That's just an example of what I mean.

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info! I ordered Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. It's been a while since I spent that kind of money on a book and I can't even resell it for 10 bucks at the end of the semester!

All the info on the web is for mountain bike, motorcycles, RC cars, etc. but not 4x4's. Time for a little light reading.....

later
    Mike

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

Re: Rear suspensions that give lift under power...

This must explain why many riggs on the rocks now have links that wrap under the differential tubbing and connect almost behind. Makes sense really, under acceleration the pinion tries to climb which puts force up on the pinion. If the link is connected in the back, it would translate the rotation of the housing into a force that would push the differential into the tub of the rig making it actually squat. Damn cool.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The first Shelby Mustangs use traction bars that came off the top of the axle tubes and ended up under where the back seat was in the stock fastbacks. They seamed to work ok and didn't hang down under the axle. Why wouldn't this work on a 4x4?

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they didnt really work well on the stangs.
    they limit travel due to binding

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The reason they wrap the links under and behind is to get a longer link without having to move the mounting point forward on the frame which compromises center clearance. By moving the mounting point you can change the goemetry also.

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status