Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got involved in a collision today....

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by RockinChevy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some old ass dude slowed down in front of me on the eastbound 60 at Greenfield Rd. There were lane closures reducing 3 lanes to one lane for freeway construction.. I wasn't going any faster than this idiot was then he romps hard on his brakes with a 3 car length cushion in front of him. I'm not sure what the actual speed was, but feels like 55. I barely had enough distance to clear that car and rear-ended him. I got out and walked up to his window and yelled WTF you stopping like that for? I was so mad I almost punched his window in. He must've been 65 or older cause I had him shaking... He was so scared he wouldn't give me a reason or an apology. I walked back to the truck and examined the damage. Not much damage, passenger side bumper got pushed back about an inch or 2, front grill is loose but still holding. One of my KC spotlights is cracked. I checked the frame, drivers side looks good, but passenger side looks like it bent from the bumper impact. Frame is still vertical, but it's pushed in where I lined up the front hangers, they were off around 2". So I thought, not good. Then I noticed red fluid on the concrete.... looked hard to see where that came from. Damn it, my transmission cooler is punched in, I can see a hole with fluid dripping out.
    At that point, the old man comes out demanding insurance info, etc. I argued with him about the damage. I also looked at his car, a late 70s Lincoln Continental, which had more damage than my truck. His trunk caved in forward about a foot, and I thought, Yeah!
    Anyways at that point, I calmed down and started to cooperate, traded off information for the police and insurance claim. Won't do me any good to run and risk losing tranny fluid.
    Well, DPS showed up and we handled it well.. I had to get my Blazer towed away, it's in a towing yard in Tempe. If I had a phone, or actually could hear a phone, I would've called around for a replacement tranny cooler and top off the tranny again then good to go.
    So....... Do any of you local guys have a tranny cooler I can use? I'm not sure what size the fittings are. I even thought about bypassing the cooler and still drive but some of my lines were cut and clamped with rubber hoses.. I'm gonna need some help with this, especially the frame issue. I'm trying to figure out a way to get to work. I emailed my boss and told him I won't be in for a week so I'll wait til Monday to see what he says. This really sucks.:angry1:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just bypass the cooler for the shortterm fix. A double ended hose barb & a couple clamps will get it back on the road.

Harley

3. RockinChevy

I thought the same thing, but the way the PO did the work on it, it was confusing which is the high pressure hose or ???
    I was afraid I might misroute it since I've never messed with tranny lines before.

4. Hossbaby50

It is just a big loop just like a radiator. One hose comes from the tranny the other one flows back to the tranny. They are both under pressure so that is not an issue. Connect the hose that goes into the cooler to the hose that goes out of the cooler and your done.

Harley

5. RockinChevy

Yeah I'm still burning about the accident. I need a clear head. Gotta wait til Monday to go down and get the towing fees paid then go from there.. I'm more concerned about my frame. Hope it's not expensive to stretch it back or even worse, scrap.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Can you say, "Assault... :whistle: ?"

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry dude, not to add salt to the wound, but sounds like you hit HIM. Unless he just changed lanes immediately in front of you and THEN hit the brakes, it is your responsibility to maintain sufficient stopping distance such that you can stop even if he makes an emergency stop for any or NO reason. With big tires, lift, and any number of other mods (or even stock) these trucks have longer stopping distances than many/most other vehicles, and it’s up to the driver to account for that in all cases. Still sucks, but don't be pissed at him. I’ve done it too years ago in a very similar case, and it was MY fault then too. It always pisses me off when my stuff gets torn up, all the more so when it is MY fault, but try to keep this in perspective. You did bust up his nice vintage Lincoln too, and that will be much harder to fix...

As for the cooler, you can easily bypass the cooler and run without it, at least until wheeling or summer, whichever comes first. But, if you replace it now or in the future, it does matter which way you hook it up. You want it to go in on the bottom and out on the top, then from the top into your radiator. This assures that not only does your cooler self bleed effectively (a problem for some styles if you don’t have it bled) for improved efficiency, but you make sure you don’t over cool your trans fluid. The high pressure line is the bottom line coming out of the trans, but it’s often easiest just to have someone turn it over (with the coil wire off) and both lines loose. Just see which line the fluid pumps out of and hook that to the bottom.

The frame is easily fixed with even the most primitive equipment, even an old rocker/cantilever tower and chains in the floor with a chain fall or hydraulics will do. These truck are very forgiving of frame alignment issues, many years ago I drove on that had a “diamond” frame and dog tracked so bad that it literally took the entire lane to stay off the lines! :D

Good luck...

8. Hossbaby50

I have bent my frame on my K5 in an accident also. They put it up on a frame rack & straightened it out. My truck was in 2 pretty good accidents so I doubt your frame is trash. My mom rearended a car pretty hard onetime (sounds similar to your wreck) & I plowed a guy who made a left hand turn infront of me. I totalled his Nissan Quest minivan & I drove my truck home. :D Gotta love old iron.

Harley

9. RockinChevy

Well, I just got my truck out of the towing yard... Made the temporary rubber hose bypass the tranny cooler.. I took the grille off and looked closer, saw that one of the screws, that hold the grille to the lower sheetmetal brace behind the bumper, punched a hole in the cooler. I really should've done that on the highway.... but being the dumbass I am with an angry mind, I chose the hard way, which is towing the truck away.
    Anyways, I drove it back home and it drives okay. It does drive a teeny bit cocked but not too bad. Well, I'm gonna make a claim and I don't expect to get anything out of it. Just suck it up, report the claim, go to court, pay the fines, maybe pay for the repairs on the old man's Lincoln. Aside from all that, I'm in a good mood, just happy I got my truck now.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You won't be paying for the repairs on the old mans car, your insurance will, you WILL however actually be paying for it in the long run through higher insurance premiums.:crazy: