Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got light????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just wanted to show off a little project I'm almost done completing on my Blazer. I ditched the dingy halogen bulbs (even after my relay mod made them better) for a pair of H4 conversion bulb/housings. These housings allow the use of a newer style 9003/H4 bulb where the bulb is replaceable and the housing/lens does not need to be replaced. The ones I got also have an integrated fog light within the housing that takes a separate H3 fog light bulb. I still need to wire the fog lights, but I did take the time to install the lenses and main bulbs this afternoon. One comment: These lights are 2 to 3 times brighter than halogens, but using an off the shelf bulb (9003 GE cool blue) it is still legal! Here are some pics:

Here is the halogen on the pass side vs the H4 on the driver side on high beam.
    [​IMG]

Here are both H4's installed on low beam:
    [​IMG]

Finally, both H4's on High beam:
    [​IMG]

The fog light portion of the housing reuired some modification to the headlight bucket and radiator support to fit. Alterations were made to both for fittment. Once I complete the fog light wiring this weekend I'll post up some more pics.

This is a kick arse mod if you want to see in the dark!

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Sweet sweet. I just put those in my burb but sence its still in its project stage i havent even got to turn them on. Good to know that they will work good. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Where did you get them from and whats the part numbers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ZooMad75

I got the housings/lenses off of Ebay. Do a search on "H4 Conversion". There are a bunch of hits that will come up, but at most its two pages to look through. Mine replaced regular 6024 halogens. The actual bulbs are just regular 9003 bulbs (GE cool blue) I picked up at Wal-mart. They were $17 for the pair, however I could have picked up the Silvania Silver star 9003's for $37 a pair. For $35 I got the GE bulbs, H3 fog light bulbs, a lighted rocker switch and an inline fuse holder. Call me cheap but I didn't see the need in spending $40 for bulbs when I already spend $32 for the lenses off of ebay with shipping and another $20 for the relay conversion supplies. The wife's spend-o-meter was catching on.....

The lenses I got are cool, but due to the integrated fog light I am finding out they are a pain to aim. I spent about 20 minutes tonight aming them again because they were too low. Now they are better but still lower than I like. If you want a simple plug and play install, get ones without the fog light.

I have found that auto zone carries a set of conversion bulbs but most of the time just have the square ones in stock, but can special order the 6024 version.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I go light. I got 440 watts of light on high beam. They are real quick about diming if I flash. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Those are Ralley 1000 Those are what desert and rally racers use.

I have them were I can manual control or they will run with the highbeams automatically. Those 4 headlights systems suck! The 550 under the bumper only run with lowbeam. No reason to waste power on them on highbeam. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I run Hella H4's in my Yota. I will probably put a set of 4000s on the 4Runner as well.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah i got a light or two (or 16)

mine are so friggin bright i cant even gety a pic cam just wont take it!!!

[​IMG]

7. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i did the h4 conversion on my burban. i did the low beams since i use them more(4 headlight configuration) 40 bucks from a buddy with silverstars. they are very bright but i had to modify the bucket and the reetaining ring. the lights would shake in the housing. when those do cut the mustard i turn on my pro comp 100 watt lights. not the best but they were cheap. soon ill have some kc 69 series(4) mounted.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well since we're on the subject of lighting, maybe yall could tell me if amber or clear fog lights are better? I figured amber are better, cause why else would they offer them? But I would like to know why whichever is better. Also, does anyone have any part #'s for conversions on a 89-91 grill? BTW Darkshadow (define irony) that is a pimp setup.

9. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Glad you guys had luck with the conversion, when I tried to do it I didnt like the end result and switched back to sealed beams.
    heres a pic.

[​IMG]

10. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

anyone have any pics facing away from the truck before and after the h4 conversion?

11. ZooMad75

I can get you some after pics tonight, but I did not take any before pics. Keep in mind I added relays in my headlamp circuits to eliminate the large voltage drop that is built into the stock headlamp circuit. I can say my halogens with the relays were brighter than normal. Brighter than my buddy's stock 78 shortbox when we compared them. Adding relays alone will make your lights brighter. Switching to the H4's made more effective use of that power. Plus the light is white, not yellow like the Halogens were. The white light is mostly from the bulbs themselves, they were labled as "cool blue" but are definately white in person. The light pattern is crisp, not just a blob of light. Now I just need to work more to aim them up higher so I'm not lighting up the first 15 feet of road in front of my truck on low beam. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I need to still make the wire harness for the fog lights, but my saturday wrenching session went in a different direction....funny how just servicing the axles turns into hey lets install that lunchbox locker we had laying around....The fog lights had to wait.

12. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

So help me out a little here, what makes the most difference, the bulbs or the lamp housing? and should you really do both if your gonna do it right???

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Heres mine stock 4 headlights, with two 100 Watt lights, sometime soon to add 4 or 5 above the cab on a light bar, or get a prerunner bumper and put 6 on it.

14. ZooMad75

I think the bulbs are important, but I think any change in bulbs is a waste stock wiring. Once the wiring is upgraded with relays then you can see a pretty dramatic increase in light quality with good bulbs. You can't use H4 bulbs without also changing the housings too. So to answer your question, yes if you are going to convert, you got to do both. As for a bulb i'd stick with a good name brand you can pickup at the local parts store, they will last longer. Mine are the next step below Silvania Silver Star bulbs in brightness but half the cost. Silverstar bulbs are about $38 for the pair around here. If you look at Ebay there are a bunch of asian bulbs that say they are PIAA or other name brands but the lables are covered in chinese or japanese writing. They indicate they are good for 300 hours of use with only like 15 minutes of use a day! Stay away!