Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got lucky this weekend, Part 1

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Mar 3, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Well, I got lucky this weekend, sort of. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was coming home late the other night, and the truck started making a noise like backfiring, but it didn't seem to be going out the exhaust or carb, and she was losing power bad. Oil pressure was holding steady. My buddy that was with me thought maybe I blew a head gasket, but she wasn't overheating either. Then we both thought that maybe a valve spring broke, or a lifter collapsed. Anyway, I was able to limp her home, but the engine sounded pretty bad, although it didn't sound like metal contacting metal, and there was no valve train clatter either.

The next morning I pulled both valve covers off, expecting to see maybe a broken spring, rocker stud, bent pushrod, anything, but all looked ok. I started the truck back up, and sure enough, if I revved it a little, the noise returned, sounding just like a backfire. Just for the hell of it, I pulled the dipstick out, and it was dry!

Now just to make sure I don't look like a complete idiot to you guys, I do check my oil once a week, because the little 305 leaks and burns oil, and I usually add a quart once a week, sometimes less if its really cold, which it has been. All I can figure is that because the weather warmed up for a few days, and I had put more miles on than normal, that it leaked way more oil than it normally does.

So, I guess I got lucky cuz it is my daily driver, and the motor hasn't blown (yet), and I'll just have to check the oil more than once a week! I was hoping she would hold together long enough to get the big block built, but maybe not.

Long live the almighty 305! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (just a little longer!)

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When I first brought my truck home- we did a tune up- had everything we needed- ended up not doing the oil change- no biggy I thought, runs like a charm- its alright. Didnt bother to check the oil- ran it for a few weeks- would rap a bit coming up my hill- figured it was the timing out of adjustment- after a few weeks- the check engine light would come on intermittently- didnt pay attention to it...finally decided well, guess I should change the oil on the old girl- pulled the plug- NADA....less than a quart of oil came outta the pan. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Swapped filters- dump in the oil- and runs great. Not bad for a 305 with 200K on it....and who says these motors don't last... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    on a side note- it doesnt burn much oil- less than a quart between changes- not sure where the oil had gone- but it sure wasnt in the engine!

Brandy

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thought maybe I blew a head gasket

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuild Head Gasket /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif VS. Add Oil /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Hell ya, you got lucky!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep....my 305 had NO water....and less than a 2 quarts of oil...it still ran!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif