Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got me a 3/4 ton drivetrain...pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Sep 4, 2004.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This was also the debut and maiden voyage of my newly fabricated trailer. It was originally 12.5' and I extended it to 18. with a drop tail. Sitting on it is the 3/4 ton donor I got for $400 (took 3 months of saving for that). It has a sm465, np205, 14bff with govloc and 4.10 gears which will all be going on my '79 K5.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this image the purple lines show how big the trailer used to be.

[​IMG]

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Nice score /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    What front diff. is in the donor truck?

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

D44, same as what I have except with 8 lugs. Oh and the 4.10 gears instead of the anemic 2.73s I have now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    I am stuck with little 10 bolts and 3.08's for awhile /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    D44, same as what I have except with 8 lugs. Oh and the 4.10 gears instead of the anemic 2.73s I have now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to be a Dana 44HD. But the outer hubs & bearings are not as strong as later D44's. But I think the axle housings are of thicker metal.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Nice score /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I would recommend you shave the 14ff before you put it on your K5 if you were planning to. I am doin mine right now and it's a PITA /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Yeah. It's sad my K5 won't see any of those goodies for a while. I want to shave the rear and the rear brakes are siezed tighter than a virgin on prom night so I'll probably just use the BFH to remove them and do the disc conversion while I'm at it.

I had a dream last night that under the hood of the donor was a hydro brake booster as well. Woke up sad as I remembered in reality it's vacuum brakes.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It looks a lot like my 74 K20,mine is an automatic but it lost reverse a few weeks ago,and its as rusty as yours(or even worse--my rear diff cover is leaking due to rust,and underneath is very crispy)and soon it will meet the same fate as your parts truck--I will miss it since I've had it 15 years.But some of its parts will live on in another rig!.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Isn't it amazing how one man's junk can be another man's treasure ........Way back in 1989 I brought home a sad looking 1973 K-20 parts truck and all my neighbors thought I had lost my mind and could not believe that I actually paid someone money for it .
    Nice score ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifTom

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to be a Dana 44HD. But the outer hubs & bearings are not as strong as later D44's. But I think the axle housings are of thicker metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a "Dana 44 HD"

Is that what someone told you that the weaker, external hub '44s were called?

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Actually I'll have to dig out the slip but I do remember the PO mentioning something about getting a HD front axle in that truck. Either way it will be replaced with a D60 when the oppurtunity presents itself.

When I brought that truck home I actually had a guy chase me down through town and follow me home thinking I was restoring it. He had a 76 that he never finished with a good cab and bed he wanted to sell me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Thats what they are listed as Tim, in the '75 Chevy 1 ton (yes 1 ton), that I robbed my axles from. At least that was what was on the options list, in the glovebox. The axle tubes are supposed to be slightly thicker. But, i'm like you "HD" is a push!