Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got me a free boat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Jul 6, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We went to a friends place for a BBQ today. Haven't been to this guys house in almost 2 years...

Anyways he has this boat in the backyard on blocks. It's a 21 foot cabin cruiser (Fibreform I think) So I asked what he was doing with it. He tells me he is sick of it, and feels he is too old to put the work into getting it back to shipshape. Then he offers it to me for nothing as long as I get it out of his yard...no deadline as far as time goes. Anytime in the next two years is just fine with him.

It has a 165 hp Mercruiser inboard that looks pretty sad (straight 6) and it needs a leg as well as a hell of a cleaning. It also needs a trailer.

I can build the trailer.

I'm thinking a 6.2 diesel would be a great motor for this thing with much better fuel economy and better power to boot. What it needs is a leg though.

Anyone into boats? Any good forums around?

Rene

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i just got a 15 foot boat a few weeks ago and have been out fishing constantly in it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oh if you find any good info forums please send me a link as well will you? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

With over 10,o00 post for each of you, how do ya find time to use the boat..or if you're online that much you think you would have found the boat boards by now,LMAO!!!!!!

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

why not put a 6.5 in it? turbos are cool!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With over 10,o00 post for each of you, how do ya find time to use the boat..or if you're online that much you think you would have found the boat boards by now,LMAO!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's official, y'all suck!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way, what's a leg on a boat?

And BTW 2. Did y'all see the pics of the aftermath of the u-joint letting loose over on PBB. Sunk the boat.....

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

trusty, go to www.iboats.com. it is the k5 website for boats. sadly this is the first year my boat is out of the water. i have a 99' merc force 120 hp, that is getting water in on e cylander, which is pretty much death.

good luck!!

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you mean to tell me that your front yard is big enough for another money pit (hole)?

10. tRustyK5

I have no front yard and barely have a back yard...which is why I work on my truck some 30 miles away at a friends converted horse barn. I'll have to scare up some suitable place to work on the boat in the next few months...

Bubba, a 'leg' is the tranny/outboard thing with the prop and all that junk. It's used on boats that use inboard power and looks similar to the bottom part of a big outboard motor.

This boat has the deep 'V' hull which makes it quite stable out in the chuck, sleeps 4 somewhat comfortably and has a 'head' a sink, stove and small fridge.

It will need a lot of work but so does everything else I own so that's kinda par for the course. The hull is sound which is the most important thing...

The 6.2 makes an advertised 155 hp which is 10 less than the straight 6 it has now, but it makes probably twice the torque and will use about half the fuel. I recall a friends 21 foot cruiser used to go through fuel like there was no tomorrow and he was running a 302 inboard. $100 on fuel for the day wasn't uncommon/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

We have so much coastal water to explore and fish...plus it'll be something fun for the whole family instead of just me. I love wheeling and wrenching, but the girls and my wife aren't as enthusiastic about it. I'm not gonna quit wheeling, but this will give us something else we can do together. Hopefully that includes working on the boat to get it back into shape.

Rene

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Congrats! That'll be fun!

You are some kind of energetic guy - just thinking about all the projects you do makes me want to take a nap. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. tRustyK5

I can catch up on sleep when I'm dead.../forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I do have too many projects though, but the thought of going through life without doing this sort of stuff isn't very appealing. I watched my Dad put off the fun stuff, the hobbies, and the projects for when he retired. Well he retired at the age of 60 and died 5 weeks later./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If I die at 60 so be it, but I want to go knowing I wrung everything I could out of my time here.

We all die, but not all of us 'live'.

Rene

13. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Boat (n) A hole in the water to throw money into... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. tRustyK5

81 Jimmy...money pit
    86 Mustang...money pit
    House...money pit
    Boat...money pit

What's yer point?/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

15. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use BoaterED . The engine forum is really helpful. The Guru there is named George Van Parys.
    Bring Out Another Thousand

It may be easier and way less expensive to repair what you have!!!!
    We bought a small bowrider last year and rebult the whole motor and outdrive. E-bay has a lot of hard to find parts.

Good Luck.

16. tRustyK5

The motor is all there, but the outdrive is mostly missing so I have no choice there.

Thanks for the link!

Rene

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I watched my Dad put off the fun stuff, the hobbies, and the projects for when he retired

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I made the decision years ago that I wanted to do all that retirement stuff while I was still young enough to really enjoy it. So I have a boatload of fun now, and actually make a better living than I did when I worked 100 hours a week for somebody else (well, and when i first started my own biz). I'm glad you are doing the same. You'll live much longer and have more fun while you're around!

Anyway, Here's to your latest Money Pit! Enjoy! *clinking glasses heard in background* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am assuming you have an alpa I outdrive. You will have to find out wether you have 1st gen or second gen alpha I.
    You have to check on your transom mount to see which one.
    Mine is a OMC Cobra, so this is what I recall from swapping outdrives on my brother's.
    My brother is selling(baby on the way) a lot of mercruiser alpha I parts and he might have a whole outdrive. Shipping would kill you though.

The only other thing to add is to not buy automotive parts to save money. The savings is not worth going BOOM for.

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only other thing to add is to not buy automotive parts to save money. The savings is not worth going BOOM for.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO TRUE! And don't get stuff from the hardware store either. Use marine quality stuff for everything on the boat. And get a book on marine wiring. Wiring will be the first thing to go because of electrolisis. So do it right the first time and never worry about it again. Always carry at least two fire extinguishers, extra life vests and an emergency bottle of booze. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. tRustyK5

So how would I tell if it was a first or second generation Alpha I if that is what it is?

I will look into what is wrong with the motor that is currently in it before I do anything as far as looking for other motors. I realize the marine stuff is pretty different and specific to the cruel environment it has to work in...

As for the wiring, from what I have seen so far it's dead simple...but again I'm sure that all the connectors and switches are marine specific. At least all the steering stuff is still well greased and works smoothly.

Larry, I'll be sure to have the boat properly equipped with all the safety stuff before the family ever gets aboard. There just isn't any saving money on that sort of thing!

Rene