Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got me a new towrig!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, May 16, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I finally got me a tow rig! Now I can tow my K5 around!! Anyways here she is: 2005 Dodge Cummins 2500 4 wheel drive Crew Cab with leather and power everything. Here is a pic of me and the family after buying it. The tires are puny and a set of 33's should fit on there nicely without rubbing....I hope

[​IMG]
    What do you guys think?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Awesome! Welcome to the Cummins club. :pimp: Now get your butt over to www.towrig.com. :D

3. stallion85

Just made my first post last night over there. I joined in Feb when Steve announced it's creation, I knew I would end up getting a tow rig eventually.......

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Good looking rig. A buddy of mine has a stock 2004 like yours. He's running 35" BFG All Terrains. You shouldn't have a problem with 33's...

5. stallion85

6. rjfguitar

Ditto, my neighbor has an '04 3500 SRW and is running 33x10.50 Pro comp M/T's.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hey Jeff, I just noticed something. You put on a LOT of weight in the desert :D

8. joe dirt

joe dirt Registered Member

Congratulations. You're gonna love it. I've got a heavily modified 1998.5 24V Dodge Ram Cummins 4x4 as a tow rig. Those 33's should fit fine on your truck. Check out the leveling spacers from revtek or tuffcountry or the skyjacker D25 leveling coils, each run about $150 and make the rig look sweet and you can run 35's no problem. Did you get the NV5600 6-speed or the 48RE auto?

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome back to the States.

That Dodge is the ultimate tow rig. You did not mention whether it had an auto or manual transmission. Did you buy your truck from the "Chopper" over at Tobin?

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I'm jealous..... the ram is the King just like the commercial says... furd has a higher tow capacity but the ram is the KING.

11. stallion85

Hey I am the guy in the middle!!!! :grin:

I have the 4 speed auto, the wife didn't want a stick and honestly neither did I :o

Does anyone know what axles are under this thing?? I know I am gonna get burned for not knowing :blush:

12. stallion85

Yup, they hooked me up or at least they claimed to since I just came back from Iraq. I am only paying $49 more a month than I was for my 2000 Explorer piece of crap. Now I am riding in style :D

I haven't had a new car in years! I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Cummins since the warranty is awesome for the drivetrain.

13. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

hahaha :haha: :rotfl:

14. rjfguitar

Good choice, the new 6 spd which is the G-56 is a pile to sum it up. They wouldn't release any ordered trucks to the awaiting customers for quite a while. Our PITA friend Timmay boy never could get the '05 6 spd cummins he ordered. :haha:

While the 48RE auto doesn't lay down the low end grunt to the wheels like the NV5600 6 spd (01-04 manual), it's better for all around use. Plus, with stock turbo lag the auto version has more pep than the manual.
    What the hell is wrong with you? You don't know WTF is under your new truck? :D :laugh:

Just kidding.

The rear is a monster 11.5" AAM full floater basically like whats under the HD GM's equipped with the Dmax. I think there are a few things different between the GM and Dodge version, like it's been in the past with Dana axles, Dodge stuff is for some reason, usually a little different.

The front is a 9.75" AAM axle. Basically a Corporate 14BSF turned into a front axle. How does it compare to the slightly older D60/D70 or 80 combo found under my '01 and similar Cummins trucks? I can say I don't think they are a step backwards from the Dana equipment, but if they are better..... I doubt it. Strength is probably nearly identical anyway.

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You got that right. I think the Ford Super-Duty's are totally awesome looking, but the Cummins engine is what gives Dodge the edge. Even though this is a site dedicated to GM products, I think GM really "missed the boat" on trucks in the last 10 or so years.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

me thinks you're either way richer than I am or you have no problem with debt. lol!

j

17. stallion85

I just have good credit and no debt :)

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, must have been saving your pennies for a long time to just buy the truck outright... how much did it set you back?

j

19. stallion85

No debt as in know credit cards or other debts. The truck is finaced of course. So let me rephrase that, the only debt I have is the truck payment :)

20. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

actually its a 9.25''