Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got most of the exhaust on and ran into problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Mar 7, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    This past weekend I was busy building my custom exhaust. I am running walker pipes, dynomax super Converters, and a flowmaster 40. I had to replace the whole system, y-pipe, everything. Well I only got up to the cat done because I ran out of pipe :( . Well I fired her up and went through checking my exhaust system no leaks :) . Truck has a nice rumble. Well after about 2 min the engine compatment started to smoke really bad. so I shut the truck off and checked everything out. The smoke was coming from the pass side of the engine. NOW ONE MORE THING
    I has to pull the pass side exhaust manifold becuase I broke every stud :mad: . I also replaced my stock valve covers with edelbrock valve covers. Now do you think that oil is spraying onto the manifold bacause the new gaskets did not seat right? I also panties the manifold with engine spray paint.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

Panties on an exhaust manifold will always result in smoking:D ! Seriously though, it's probably the paint burning off especially if you just used simple engine enamel. Even the highest temp stuff will eventually start to smoke. If you're sure it's the paint burning than the best you can do is open the hood (outdoors) and let it rip till the smoking subsides. As far as I know ceramic coatings are the only way to properly (and permanently) finish headers or exhaust manifolds.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I also believe when you put new pipes on they have some type of oil coating that causes them to smoke a little. Maybe thats all it is.

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I just ran the heck out of the truck just now I found two things. There is plastic on the y-pipe (shipping list), There was a wire under the vave cover :crazy: . The truck is not smoking any more. I can't wait intell I get my muffler on. The truck sounds so good right now with just a cat.
    Thanks
    Adam