Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my 205 rebuilt...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Feb 10, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Man, that sucker gets heavier as the day goes on! When I opened the drain valve, a lot of water came rushing out as well as the oil! I thought OMG. But it must not have been in there for long. Everything looked really good inside. A little spot rust on one of the idler gears and that was it. Only real problem was the main input bearing was seized up.

Anyway, my legs are a little sore from tossing and turning the sucker and my hands are very sore from constantly loosing the battles with the gears!

For those who might undertake such and endeavour, it really isn't difficult at all. Hardest problems I had were:

1. Getting the snap ring from the front of the input shaft was a booger. Took my good shap ring pliers and all the strength my hands could manage to get it open enough to get out of the groove. The fact that it kept slipping off the plier tips didn't help.

2. Do NOT use an impact wrench on the idler shaft once the nut is loose. Mine spun it all the way off and then rubbed up against the threads. Messed them up a little. Then, while using the impact to work it on and off and on and off to clean up the threads, the impact socket had been hitting the shaft. Messed it up and it wouldn't lide back in! I had to get the grinder out to clean up the edge to get it back together.

3. There is a trick to getting the shift rails back in place. They have "safety" pins to keep them from shifting into certain positions. If you don't put them back in a certain order, the pins won't allow you to slide them back in. Of course, I decided to cut a special groove system into one of my rails to "key" it into position!

Other than that, it really wasn't too tough. A mere 6 hour project and all was done! Now comes the hard part... lifting it up to the frame and mounting it to the 700 without causing myself serious physical pain!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Sounds good - eventually I'd like to do the same.
    Two quick ? - where did you buy your rebuild kit from? How much? Did it have everything?
    Also, did you have a NP205 manual or...?

About reinstalling - do you have a transmission jack? Seems like that would be the best IF the jack will raise it up high enough.
    -- Mike

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The guy I bought the tcase from included a rebuild kit. It was all Federal Mogul stuff. Don't know where he got it.

I did not have a manual. I used my Chilton's and a magazine article I dug up.

I am building a platform for my floor jack to get it to lift the unit up high enough. My frame sits almost 3 feet off the ground. I can almost sit up under it. I am building a platform to get the whole thing close enough so that the jack can reach. Being only one person, I have to find many creative ways to use a floor jack!

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you can rep on bench press about 180 or so, you can bench it into position and have a freind put a cople bolts in the adapter...If you make is like 170, I wouldn't try it...these things are not TOOO heavy, but akward as all get out...When I do thin insatll myselff, I use an old office chaire (the kind with wheels and a gas charged cylinder to raise and lower...) and I take the back off and it goes down just far enought to fit under my truck then I coax it a little and raise it into position...
    You can get a rebuild kit from most tranny shops or on e-bay...They run about $140 -$250, depending on where you get em...

Chris

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not sure if you were aware...but Leadfoot has a good write up with a ton of pic's on a 205 rebuild. The link to the pic's and stuff is in his sig./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here is another link I found doing a search...

http://okcnetworks.com/bronco/205/np1.htm

Leadfoot's 205 rebuild article

I also bumped Leadfoot's write up to the top in the bloody knuckle. I'm still not sure why it wasn't made a sticky post/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rene