Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my 700R4 trans rebuilt for $100.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Got it back all done yesterday. He only charged me 100 bucks for parts and labor and I got to watch the whole process. Not that I think I could do it myself but it was a learning experience. Those shops that charge 700 for a rebuild are a rip off. We replaced almost everything in there and it came up to a little over 100 bucks in parts and he owed me a few bucks so we called it even. If you ever get a 700 rebuilt, tell them when they are done you will need an itemized bill and time sheet.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I take it you didn't replace the front pump. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you use aftermarket and late model upgrades while you were at it?

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Was it a guy in Des Moines named Slifka? He did my TH350 for 100 in labor and it was the best trans I ever owned.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Were all the tolerances checked before installation?

$100 is a good deal, no doubt, pretty hard to get the parts to do a rebuild for much less than that.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The first one we rebuild using std ac delco parts (from the place I worked, AC delco dealer), new electronics plus the shift kit cost $240 in parts...
    I took my DD in and they charged 700 but I didn't have to take it out, cleanit, replace parts or put it back it... plus I got a 12,000 mile warrenty... its was worth it to me... whats the use of having a $5000 truck thats doesn't move /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

dang mang.....thts cheap....i just paid 1400 bucks to have the same tranny rjfguitar has in his installed,but im not whinin about it.....jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I spent more than 100 bucks in the rebuild kit alone for mine, plus new torque converter was another 100 (you did replace the torque converter right?) all in all I spent about 300 bucks on mine and I did it myself.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cyberfire,
    Something sounds fishy to me...$100 bucks for everything just doesn't sound right to me. How much was the complete rebuild kit? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The rebuild kit, that is seal kit was 15.60 his cost. He buys alot of them so I suppose he gets some kind of discount. The frictions were like 2.60 a peice or something like that. The band was 8 something. Can't remember what the sprags were. There were some parts that we replaced that wouldn't be covered under a normal rebuild. One was a pressure plate that lays next to the frictions. Mine had a crack in it. All tolerances were checked and rechecked as it went together. I think the reason he did it for his cost for me is because he is trying to get out of the buisness and wants all of it gone. Now days he drives a truck and doesn't have to get dirty so he enjoys that more. If I knew what he knows I could go into buisness tomorrow. Didn't replace the pump and didn't put in a new torque converter. But then like he said when we pulled the pan off mine the fluid was really clean and without metal shavings so there wasn't anything like that to worry about. The reason mine wouldn't shift is the lug that is on the 2-4 band broke out.

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

yep,good you can do your ownn 700r stuff,good way to save......i did one once,never again,anyway you slice it ,its a good deal.....Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif