Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my camper, dunno if it should be in restoration or here

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Pookster, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, got my 1989 8 foot pop up truck camper. Boy does it smell like mildew. THe roof is leaking (and bowed in no less!). Here is my first of a long series of questions.

1. Can I replace the roof? Im thinking remove inner parts, scrap it, and replace it with Poly carbonate or lexan plastic panels instead. im thinking a small "A" style roof would be quite nice, as it would shed water, let a lot of light in, and be lighter than this water soaked wood top. Any thoughts?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Does it have a wooden frame or a metal one? If its a wood one, You'll want to tear into it and see how bad the rot is. The roof is part of the structure so its worth looking into. I suppose you could rebuild it with whatever you wanted as long as there was a decent frame there.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The walls do not look too bad. One of the rear supports looks a bit mildew, so I'll see how bad it is.

I'll keep you posted with the teardown. I just ripped out all the carpeting the guy had placed over it, looks at least that there was a vynl floor before, and it doesnt looked ripped. THis is probably what kept the floor board from rotting away.