Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my cowl hood today!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jul 1, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just got my cowl hood that I ordered from this guy www.advantagefiberglass.com and I am impressed with it! Very good quality, smooth, and the cowl widens further back which looks much better IMHO than a narrow square looking rise. Can't wait to get it on and down to the paint shop! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm still thinking about one myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My hood has a "ding" from not paying attention while loading the truck on a stock car trailer with a tire rack.

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm still thinking about one myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

My hood has a "ding" from not paying attention while loading the truck on a stock car trailer with a tire rack.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My hood has dings, pings, and dents so I figured by the time the body shop charges me to fix it and I've always wanted a cowl hood so....thats what I did! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

what'd they charge you to ship it? are you going to put some hinge supports on it?

5. rjfguitar

$420 to my door, about $135 for shipping. I didn't plan on using any kind of support, the guy never said anything about it.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

damn thats nice and "cheap". Relatively anyway, most are like 500 at the least.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oo, me likey /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

swweeeeettt, what color is your truck(the paint# if you have it? i love green. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good choice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i told you guys the quality was good. if Bobby likes it, its gotta be good.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool man!!! I like that one ,pretty tuff looking. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

bobby, lets see it mounted /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

What color are you painting your truck?

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Pink with white flames /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Pink with white flames /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Asshat! Get it right the first time!!!....pink with PURPLE pokadots and blueish green flames. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    swweeeeettt, what color is your truck(the paint# if you have it? i love green. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]It is a dark metallic green with a white top and upper cab. No numbers, it is special paint because it was a forest service truck. I hate green, can't wait to get it to the paint/body shop and finally get rid of the color.! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    bobby, lets see it mounted /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

What color are you painting your truck?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I will nab my girlfriend's cam as soon as she lets me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It will roll out with a nice coat of metallic charcoal silver, almost the same color as JJlaughner's K5....just better. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah that sounds... shiny
    Take some pics when its all painted /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I think army green is cool man.I like the paint..............as a matter of fact,id like to see ya just get a 4-500 dollar paint job and call it a day.Otherwise youll just be paranoid all the time about your paint.Mine is an earl shive.still looks fine,even 10 years later /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think army green is cool man.I like the paint..............as a matter of fact,id like to see ya just get a 4-500 dollar paint job and call it a day.Otherwise youll just be paranoid all the time about your paint.Mine is an earl shive.still looks fine,even 10 years later /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Army green? I would wear a pink tootoo and makeup and run around town before I would paint my K5 "army green!" /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Nah, I want a nice paint job and I plan on spending around 2,500-3K on it. The difference between a good paint job and a great paint job is one looks like sheetmetal with nice paint and the other looks like glass with nice paint. I am not going to wheel it near rocks or trees so that isn't a worry and I will always be the guy that parks waaaaaaay out deep into the parking lot where no one else is parked. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. rjfguitar

I got the hood installed this morning....

1. It was a little tricky getting it lined up right and took a while

2. I had to weld the little spring that is next to the latch in the front ( you pre 80's guys don't have it) to a piece of steel I cut with a hole saw and then bolted it to the hood...not exactly "bolt" direct on.

3. Had a little trouble getting my latch to lock in place and I have to slam the hood pretty good to get it to lock.

4. Shawn (the hood builder) used 8mm nuts for the mounts and didn't let me know, had to go buy 8mm bolts to bolt it on. Why 8mm? How about just a 5/16" nut? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. Boy, that cowl hurts your view just a little, it's taller than it looks in the pic. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Make with the pics doood..... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif