Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GOT MY CUCV T400-208

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by KRUM, Oct 26, 2002.

1. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

I PICKED IT UP TODAY IT HAS 40K ON IT ANY THING I SHOULD CHANGE BEFORE I BOLT IT UP? ALSO IS THERE ANY LITERATURE THAT COULD HELP ME WITH WIRING THE KICKDOWN UP AND PUTING ANOTHER VACUUM REGULATOR ON. THIS TRANNY IS REPLACING THE 700R BEHIND MY 6.2 DIESEL.OH YEAH, PICS WOULD BE AWESOME
    THANKS,
    JERRY

2. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

Hey a friend of mine has a cucv with the t400 and 208 setup and he cracked his transfer case. Before you bolt everything together try and find an np205 with 32 spline input to bolt to the t400. You'll like it more because there will be no backlash when shifting gears and the 205 will be stronger. And the ridiculous slip yolk will be eliminated in the t case with a 205. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

I LIKE THE 208 IVED OWNED IT IN FORDS JEEPS AND CHEVYS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THEM. BUT, I AM GOING TO BE RUNNING MY 241 OFF OF MY 700R
    THANKS,
    JERRY

4. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

can no one /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ?or am gonna have to do this like most people and figure it out for myself /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    thanks,Jerry

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Should be a very straight forward swap. And yeah, you'll have to dive into it yourself to learn what it will take, but thats not so bad because I can't count all the times I have seen bogus information posted in these forums by well meaning but ignorant "helpers". The absolute best info is in the factory service manuals(not a generic haynes or chilton), buy one for your model truck, it will be the best money you ever spend. The procedure for the vacuum regulator adjustment is in there, but not a good picture. If you dont have a manual by the time you have it together, ask again and I will paraphrase or scan it. Plus, I should have received and installed mine by then.
    The kickdown is the same as every turbo 400, if you cant find a switch from a CUCV, and there are lots of CUCV carcasses around, try Summit or Jegs - they sell a switch made by B&M that is intended for engine swaps, it attaches to the throttle arm of a carb but should work fine on the injector pump arm. The B&M switch will work fine but its kind of pricey, try a junkyard, the switch is nothing more than a pushbutton, normally open switch and a bracket to hold it so that the throttle arm hits it at almost WOT. It applies 12v to the kickdown solenoid in the trans when the switch is closed.
    As far as the physical installation goes, turbo 400's and 700's are different lengths, but I have no idea about the related adapters and transfer cases, BUT - if you have a length problem and need to move the crossmember, consider moving the engine crossmember. As long as the amount moved is small, you might be able to get away with only lengthing or shortening the exhaust pipes as opposed to changing driveshafts - definitely a big cost saver. When you get done, YOU will be the expert and can answer everyones questions .

6. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

thanks is the little sylanoid (sp) on the drivers side behind the shifter part the kickdown one? and does the vacuum port on the tranny hook into the vacuum regulator on the injection pump?
    thanks alot,
    Jerry

7. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Yes and yes

8. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

ON ANOTHER NOTE I WAS TOLD MY T-400 IS REALLY A T-475. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BESIDES HELICAL CUT GEARS? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    THANKS,
    Jerry

9. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

The 475 looks identical to a 400 on the outside. The major difference is that the plantary gears are straight cut instead of helical. Don't know if CUCV's got 475s, they were mostly used in school buses, motor homes and delivery vans. My book ID's them as being 400's but anythings possible.

10. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

OK WHAT SHOULD THE TAG ON THE SIDE OF THE TRANNY SAY? IT SAYS HYDROMATIC AND HAS SOME NUMBERS BUT DOESN'T SAY 400 ANYWHERE
    THANKS ALOT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif,
    Jerry

11. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

My book says the Military version K series should be code FV. The stamped code should be the model year, division code, calibration code, and tranny serial number.