Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my D60... now STEERING ?'s before I do the install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quack_Addict, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

Got my D60... now STEERING ?\'s before I do the install

I already searched... didn't come up with much about this.

I decided that I'm tired of babying the skinny pedal when in 4x because of all the horror stories I've read and two personal experiences with 10 bolt fronts... so I went out and bought a Dana 60 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

My truck is a 1984 K20 with 4" suspension lift and 35's. It's set up perfect right now with the 10 bolt front. The D60 I bought appears to be a bolt-in for the most part as far as spring perch width goes, but I didn't get a steering arm or tie rod in the transaction, which I am going to have to acquire prior to the install.

A few questions about the conversion...

Will the tie rod off the off the 10 bolt front work in the D60 application?

With 4" suspension lift, should I purchase a stock steering arm for the D60 or a lifted steering arm
    - with the stock arm on the 10 bolt the steering to the left was limited and a lift steering arm solved that problem.

I don't think I am going to convert to X-over steering as this truck only sees trail riding, mud and pavement.

Any other tidbits or suggestions about the install / conversion would be nice to hear as well. I'm sure other questions will come up as I get closer to doing the install this weekend.

Thanx.

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Got my D60... now STEERING ?\'s before I do the install

You could use a raised streering arm or you could put a raised block on with a stock arm.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

1. Congrats
    2. 10 bolt tie rod should work - mine would have but I went with a www.rockstomper.com Rock Rod
    3. You will need a raised steering block for the D60 - costs about $50ish

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dont think they make a raised steering arm for a 60.
    drop pitman or block

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've seen a raised arm for a D60. But they're not as common as D44 ones. The blocks are all over.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My tie rod was too short when I upgraded to Dana 60. The drag link worked fine however.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've noticed that lifted Dana 60 steering arms have occaisionally been on Ebay lately. Seems like it was John Walls 4WD shop in Memphis, Tn. that was seeling them.

I'm strictly guessing but I'm pretty sure that the arms are new but very old Rugged Trail pieces that have been out of production for probably close to 10 or 15 years. I figure they must have bought a bunch of new old stock from another shop.

8. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I have a raised arm on my 60.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cool info
    I have never seen one.
    anyone have a pic?

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

*NEW IN THE BOX*. This is One Cast Steel Dana 60 Lift Steering Arm and One Tie Rod End (that may or may not work on your Dana 60), One Upper Ball Joint Gasket, Two Bump Stop Drop Brackets With Bolts That Will Lower Your Bump Stops 4 Inches. This steering arm will work on most Dana 60 Front Ends that are 1973-1988 Chevy 1-Ton 4X4 Trucks with solid axle Dana 60's in the front. If you have a lift but no lifted steering arm, This Is A Must!!Manufactured by Burbank Suspension. Manufacture Part #4001. Q-15. Shipping Weight is 15 Lbs. We Only Have A Few Of These items Left.

John Walls 4 Wheel Drive Center
    Business Hours: 9:00-3:00 CST Monday-Friday
    901-867-3325
    johnwalls@johnwalls.com

Our Email response is a Little Slow, because of the Mass Quanity of Emails, if quick response is needed Please Call Us. Please include item # with all correspondence. Remember to ask all questions prior to bidding.

For more information you can go to the products Brand Names website. To learn more about us go to http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/d4u2 or Click on the icon ME beside our Users Name.