Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got my front detroit done....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mike reeh, Jun 25, 2005.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

So I busted up my dana 44 a couple months ago and decided to rebuild it with a detroit... I got everything from randy's (detroit, yukon r&p, yukon install kit) and went to town.. wow it really tried my patience but I got the gears setup finally.... biggest mistake I made was tearing down the axle w/o making note of how the old R&P were shimmed.. so I had to start out blindly and go from there... and if you have tried to get backlash, pinion depth, and pinion preload all to work together to give you a good wear pattern, you know what im talking about! I must have torn that b!tch down 20 times before I got it perfect... but it was worth it, and a great learning experience. I cant wait to try out the detroit in a few weeks.. While I was at it, I rebuild the axleshafts too w/ new spicer 5-760X joints..

when you guys break front axleshafts, is it true that its usually the short side? because it doesnt "give" as much as the longer side right? would it be stupid to only carry the short side as a spare? or should I just carry both.......

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I'm about the replace the ring, pinion, and carrier in my 44. From 3.08 to 4.09. Any tips you might recommend to make this a quick swap?

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well if youre not familiar with how to setup the R&P, I suggest spending a couple hours online researching it and getting familiar with what you're going to encounter.... then I recommend either getting yukon parts or finding the yukon install manual because its GREAT.. and read it and RE read it a couple times before you do it... other than that just pay attention and be patient :) ... you'll need a dial indicator w/ magnetic base, some way to remove and install bearings (I used some harbor freight manual bearing puller & "gear puller", two different sets that got all the bearing installation/removal done..)

you'll definately want some saw horses.. I used burrow brand and they worked fine.. if you need any info or advice id be glad to give it while its still fresh in my mind... but good luck, theres really nothing to it

mike

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I have a Chilltons (spl???) manual out in my garage that I have referenced for every part of my buildup thus far... suppose it would have it???

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Use Dana(Spicer) gears, and read the markings on the pinion head.
    Learn how to go from a +2 to -4, before you do the swap.
    Good luck

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From my experience you have equal chances of breaking either inner shaft, one of the stub shafts, or the u-joint. If you break a u-joint there is a good chance it will ruin one or both of the shafts.

My recommendation, and what I did before switching to a front Dana 60, would be to carry a complete set of shafts already setup with u-joints............this will save you a lot of time if you break something if you don't have to mess around with the u-joints, just slap in a complete shaft and go.

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I already bought the gears used... but in good shape from some guys one here. and what's a +2 -4???

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

IIRC, I believe he is reffering the numbers stamped on the end of some Pinions. It can help you make adjustments out of the box on shims for pinion Depth. Mine didnt have one when I did my D60.

I had mine in and out about a dozen times to get it pefect. The local gear people say that is not too uncommon to do so I didnt feel too bad. They can do it in about 6 tries.

I did the same thing, read online and went through the manual. Bought all the special tools that I would need including the clamb shell to pull the bearings and a 6 ton press. I spent less money for the tools then the install would have cost and now I know how to do it.

Well worht the effort. :D