Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my gm8 and turbo hedders

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Now what?! What do I need to add? I think I need a boost controller of some type....

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Forgot to say- This turbo is a little... weird- I know AGdieseler said that there should be no play- in this case, there is no play, up down left, right... but it is a little stiffer than I remember turbo's being. Im familiar with most import turbo's (made by IHI or Turbonetics) but this one is a lot stiffer. Its not that it takes much force to spin, but it certainly doesnt free wheel like those either.

Should I be concerned? Should I try and run some ATF through the oil passage and try and clean things up a bit?

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Forgot to say- This turbo is a little... weird- I know AGdieseler said that there should be no play- in this case, there is no play, up down left, right... but it is a little stiffer than I remember turbo's being. Im familiar with most import turbo's (made by IHI or Turbonetics) but this one is a lot stiffer. Its not that it takes much force to spin, but it certainly doesnt free wheel like those either.

Should I be concerned? Should I try and run some ATF through the oil passage and try and clean things up a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's been sitting for a while, I would oil it and spin it a bit to loosen it up.

I would be concerned if it was that stiff.

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice. I think you'll like your GM8.

Definitely squirt some oil over the bearing and give it a spin. If you're still unsure, turbo shops usually check the condition of a unit for free.

Next, I would start fabbing an intake (or pick up a 6.5TD setup), then an airbox, an exhaust, and so on. Just keep acquiring parts as the pocket book allows.

Is this truck parked, or is it a DD and you are going to have to do the swap all at once in a weekend?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Kinda a little of both, I have other vehicles to drive during this time so its not terrible. Im not going to begin until I have all the parts anyways. I just wnated to make sure that the turbo wasnt toast.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Little Update- I've got a Short ram and k&N cone filter to bolt up directly to the turbo. THe intake is still baffling me. How big of a diameter do I need for proper air flow?

7. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you mean the intake to the turbo, or the intake to the engine. Try for 2.5-3" and 4" respectively.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I meant intake into the turbo- Intake manifold I already have a J- Code (no divider). I went for a 3.5" intake. It was free! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif