Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my Jegs cage delivered today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 26, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Had it dropped off at my moms place since that is where the trucks is and she was home today. Told her it might be heavy and to be carefull.

Got a call from her saying how easy it was to unload since there were only 2 pieces.....:confused: WTF....Yellow lost the box full of tube and only delivered the rear hoop and the halo. Sweet, thanks for the 2 point half ass roll cage. If yellow can't find the box jegs is going to ship another one to me.

Jegs did tell me that they bend all of their own tube in house. My order was shipped the next day. I was impressed with that. Hope to update my post with some pictures soon :rolleyes:

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I specifically asked them if the parts were drop shipped from S&W or if S&W made them and they said no that they made all of their own cages in their chassis shop.

I dunno man, I thought S&W made them too :confused:

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh well let us know what you think I'm in the market right now for My new project

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I bought mine on christmas sale from S&W racecars. I dont remember how much I paid though. It came quickly and it looks nice...but then again its just a bunch of bare metal tube.:haha: Cant wait to get it welded in...even though it doesnt come with instructions.
    Heres a pic of the tubing for the cage against the wall where it is being stored until installation.
    -Harrison

DSCN0343.JPG

6. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

yeah they dont give u instructions and them most of thim fit like **** my friend had one and he had to rewrk it since it was terrible

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

It's never easy. I'm saving my cage for last. I'm going to do some easy wheeling when I get my shackles on and if everything shakes out ok, I'm gonna pay somebody to do my cage. I have not seen anything off the shelf worthy and I don't have a tubing bender so I'm screwed. Gonna have to pay the man this time.

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Do you have a part number for the Jeg's kit, or a link?
    Thanks,
    Rick

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Go to jegs.com and enter in this part number

550-946905K

That is the 12 point cage for a 1/2 ton chevy truck which is what I thought I was getting. It does not go to the frame but that can be done easily.

They say that the cage is not notched and it is cut long so it is not a custom fit. The two pieces I got look like HREW which is ok with me. Jegs said if Yellow can't find the box they will send me another cage which is cool.

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

How much was shipping?

11. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

anybody have pics of the finished product?

12. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

89.00 Truck freight according to Jegs site.:D

Z

13. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Any pics of it installed yet?

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Actually I scrapped the whole jegs kit. I am not at all happy with it and really feel it is worthless, a total waste of $300 + dollars. Now I realize others have this cage and I mean no offense to them, I hope it worked better for you than it did me.

The halo didn't fit right, it was not wide enough and it was about a foot too long this caused the front down tubes to not fit right. I realize they were made longer and needed to be trimmed down but there were two bends in the halo that I had to cut off and then it really didn't fit right. It was way to low and below my eye line. I had more time in trying to fit the jegs cage than it is taking me to bend a custom cage. I had a couple guys come out and help me who have experience in cage building and we couldn't make the kit work right.

The only real way to get a TRUE cage that I would feel safe in is to have the thing built for your rig tied directly into the frame with a lot of bracing. The steel plates that mount to the floor are certainly NOT 3/16th and are more like 18 gauge sheet metal. I just don't think there is a cookie cutter way to make a good cage that is inexpensive and guaranteed to fit "X" year to "X" year of "X" vehicle.