Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my lift on, and tires now a few probs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Jun 8, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I just finished my 4" lift a week ago (took 14 hrs!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, no air tools SUCKS) and I just got my tires on, very used 35x15.5x15 swampers with 15x10 wheels with 4" back spacing...well now my problem is my tires are about a milimeter or 2 from rubbing on my tie rods...Im sure if the tire flexes its gonna be hitting, or if I air down for sure....so now what do I do?? I've thought maybe 1" wheel spacers? my other problem is I bought a skyjacker steering stabilizer that is for a vehicle with one allready installed from the factory...but now when I turn and the shock compresses, the shock maxes out b4 my wheels are turned fully. They turn all the way to the right no prob, but the left I have very limited steering, what can I do about that?? Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated....Ohh ya, and Pics will be up as soon as I take em with my parents digi cam /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I am not sure what to say about the tires as I have never had that problem.

As for the limited steering, are you sure it is the stabilizer bottoming out? Take it off and see if it still does it. When you installed the lift, did you install a raised steering arm? Or any other kind of steering correction? Or adjust your drag link?

3. smprider112

ya I installed a raised steering arm, and adjusted the draglink to get the wheel on track....when I crank the wheel to the left and look at the shock it is ALL the way compressed...But today I will remove it just to be sure.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok, if you can see that it is compessed then maybe there is no need to take it off. I was asking about the steering 'cuz sometimes that will do it.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

You should have gotten wheels (or should look for) with 2.5 inch backspacing. Had the same prob with 33's. 4Wheel Parts will sell you a set of 15x8 RockCrawker black steel wheels for about $170.00. DO NOT buy spacers.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

how is your stabilizer hooked up? i have a factory unit and when i turn left it opens up, not compresses. mine has the mount on the tie rod right next to the left tire. it has a hole cast into the rod. the other side hooks to a bracket welded onto the axle tube, close to the diff.

were did you get your parts from? i got a stabilizer from 4WPW once and they gave me one for an S-10 blazer. did the same thing, wouldnt turn left all the way, but it was because it was fully extended, not compressed.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

BTW 4" backspacing will work, but only on a smaller tire, say 12.50. this is the combo i run and i has no problems. i've also got a set that are 13.50, they fit fine too.

i wouldnt get spacers either. You might be ok tho. since the tierod is located at the center of the tire, even if you air down the tire will bulge at the bottom, not the side. you dont need much clearance here. my tires only have about a 1/4 inch spacing i think.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You should have gotten wheels (or should look for) with 2.5 inch backspacing. Had the same prob with 33's. 4Wheel Parts will sell you a set of 15x8 RockCrawker black steel wheels for about $170.00. DO NOT buy spacers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I run 16" wide tires with 4.25" of backspacing and have not experienced this on either the 10 bolt front or the Dana 60.

9. smprider112

I never thought about the fact that when I air down the bottum half of the tire is the one getting bulged out...I guess I should be fine...its probably about 3mm or a little more of clearance, I havent noticed any rub marks yet. Besides Im probably gonna run these for a few months till I can afford new 35x12.5's. I really wanted a 3 3/4 spacing but Les Schwab only had 4"