Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got my new 6" lift for my 71

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak7, Mar 19, 2002.

1. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

got my new 6\" lift for my 71

I got all of my greasable bolts and poly bushings yesterday from ORD. My 6" tuff country front springs and 2" block kit just got here today. I'm still waiting on my 4" ORD shackle flip which I think will be here begining of next week. Can't wait to bolt everything in and test out the new ride. This is gonna be my first lift install. Anybody know about any problems I might run into during the install?

ak7

2. Re: got my new 6\" lift for my 71

Check out my site under the lift section at http://www.j0ker.org/~yukon/lift.html for a pretty detailed description of my 4" front spring and rear shackle flip install. It's pretty straight forward, the rivits and getting old bushings out of the rear springs was the biggest problem I ran into.

3. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Re: got my new 6\" lift for my 71

what could you do to fix your wheel not being centered in the rear? I've heard about that from a couple of people that the rear tire is offset. I'd definately want to fix that on my blazer if thats how it turns out for me.

ak7

4. Re: got my new 6\" lift for my 71

The easy fix looks to get Offroad Design's Zero Rate block. It has three different positions for the center pin so it could move the axle back. I measured my wheelbase axle to axle and it is 126". Stock is 127" so it looks like the Zero Rate using its 1" back position would be perfect.

5. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Thanks. I thought about possibly using ORD's zero rate leafs but I'm not sure I want the extra ride height on top of my 6" lift. If I add the zero rate in the rear, I would also have to add one in the front to even out the truck. I'm hoping to find out some more options before I actually make a decision about that. Thanks though.

ak7

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had to cut off the stock spring perches from the 14FF I got to move them in. I made some new ones out of 2.5" square tubing (.25 wall) and drilled 2 holes for the center pin in them. One in the center and one 1" farther forward in the perch (so it moves the axle back 1").

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that due to the suspension geometry the rear axle will move back toward the rear bumper as the suspension is compressed. This might lead to the tire contacting the back side of the rear wheel well on compression. Moving the axle farther back will make the problem worse...

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ak7,

Maybe you could trade in the 2" lift block for something shorter and THEN get the zero-rates to get you back to a 2" block lift?

Just an idea.... here's a pic I have of mine that shows the rear tire "issue" pretty well. I'm probably going to build a custom offset spring perch when I install the 14BFF to correct the problem.

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup71/aab?full=1

The only OTHER suggestion I would make is start soaking the bolts with PB Blaster or whatever penetrating oil you like. You could swap out the rear bushings whenever you're ready and then do the shackle flip when it arrives. I've done the full greaseable bushings, new front springs, shackleflip deal myself and it takes a LONG time to finish.....anything you can do ahead of time is good.

Watch out for:

Stock brakelines that are too short for the lift
    E-Brake Cables that prevent you from dropping the rear springs to allow the shackle flip to go in.
    Muffler pipes that are in the way of the shackle flip
    Rear driveshaft that is too "collapsed" into the slipjoint...the shackle flip will probably rotate your pinion UP and will shorten the overall length of the driveshaft.
    New U-Bolts for the rear (Longer, plus it might be a good time to convert to the "upfacing style" to get more ground clearance

Probably more......feel free to check my gallery photos. I've got pictures of every one of those upgrades for my '72. They might save you some time by studying them NOW. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif