Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new 700R. Found a GOOD shop w/ an EXCELLENT price **UPDATE**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

For those of you that are sticking with a 700R, I picked mine up Friday night from AALCO transmissions is Owasso OK. Stood there and watched the guy build it. this man knows more about 700R's than anybody I have EVER talked with. This includes Art Carr and JET. Quality build and warranty to boot. We went through and upgraded the HELL out of the thing. I can't even begin to tell you the list of mods we made to it. The pricing rocks. $550 for a carryin/carry out rebuild with a 90 day warrenty or $800 if he installs with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. That includes convertor and all the cool little trick stuff to make em last.

I honestly don't think he left a single part of my tranny alone in order to make it stronger. He's got one living behind a 10 second 600 horse drag car in Kansas. Been running strong for 3 years now.

Thought I would pass this along. I put it in last night, but broke a stud off in the exhaust that I've got to fix before a test drive. I'll let you know how it works.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Re: Got my new 700R. Found a GOOD shop w/ an EXCELLENT price

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a killer deal, especially with all the upgrades. How long did the rebuild take?

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

From start to finish toook him about 5-6 hours. That was with him explaining all of what he was doing to me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. They said they can usually do about 1 a day, barring incident. The guy is quick. Never took a look at a book the whole time. Off the top of my head, I know that I've got the Corvette servo, upgraded clutches and reworked oiling through the whole damn thing along with a 1300 stall convertor.

Time permitting, he can prb. get a truck in and out in a day. You'll get a first hand test drive if you want once I get it back on the road. I'm pretty stoked about this thing.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you got that tranny back together Kyle! Sounds like you found one of the guru's out there that knows his stuff. I know 2 guys that do 700's... one just retired from the bus and was just like you said...He also has a 70-0 living behind a streetrod w/ a nasty BBC in with no problems.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, I'm happy too. Not really the way I wanted to do it, I wanted to build it myself, but after watching this guy, I made the right choice.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a killer deal! And he let you watch. I just got my truck back on the road yesterday with a new tranny and engine. It was built by a race shop as well here in CA. I gotta mess with the TV cable a bit but I'm already pleased with it. $550 is a smokin deal though. Congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That price is kinda a "special" deal. If you go to the shop and tell him I sent ya, then you get the nice price. Alan is a helluva guy, we hit it off right away. I talked to him some about mailing the things. He didn't say he wouldn't, soooo.......

I'm gonna try and get as much business his way as I possibly can. He's too good a guy and too good a builder for me to not.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

THIS THING ROCKS!!!!! Ran it down the road last night then drove it into work this morning. Nice firm shifts, holds it's gear GREAT, We adjusted the shift points a little bit to keep it in gear for highway running. OVERALL, I could not be happier with this tranny.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I could find anyone to give me that kind of warrenty on a tranny, I'd just burn it up every 3 years and get a new one!

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

There are a few things that you have to do in order to keep the warrenty, and it's a pretty fair guess that the guy can figure ut if you ran it without fluid as well. For me, if I can get another 100k miles out of this one I'll be plenty happy. I got 193k out of it the first time. I don't plan on this rig being a daily forever, once it's back to toy status I'd be suprised to see if it gets more the 10k a year tops.

Even though its a smokin deal, that still doesn't mean I want to sap tranny's every 3 years. I'd just as soon never do it again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I'm so rough on transmissions, I have to swap my auto out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can't afford an expensive tranny so manual is what mine will be.

I gave my perfectly functional, well maintained 700R4 with about 110,000 miles on it away to my friend just yesterday. Aren't I nice?

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

sh%$ id pay shipping if he could build one like that.. now just to find a 700r4 core

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Find a core from an 89 and I'll talk to him. You're in Oregon right? He's not opposed to doing it that way, at least I don't think he is /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Kyle,
    I just sent a co-worker Alans way. Told him to tell Alan you referred him. So if you get a dinner out of this deal, your going to have to split it...

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Consider it done. When we gonna put a new one in yours? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm thinking that mine may be a manual shift before too much longer. It worked AWESOME, but I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I hope to get close to 200K miles out of mine like you did. I have about 110K so far with no trouble, knock on wood.