Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new body mounts in last night, not real happy....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 23, 2002.

I got my new Energy Suspension Body Mounts in last night, and was real happy that my trim lines finally matched up. However I got in and started it to move it, and realized that it viberated a lot more then normal. Also my doors are a lot harder to shut then before I put the mounts in??? So today when I am driving I noticed that my truck rides a lot stiffer then before, I am hoping thats because these arnt broken in yet. Is it? Also for some odd reason my doors are a lot harder to shut then before. I have no clue why, this doesn't make any sense. It seems like they are grinding aginst the striker, which makes them much harder to shut. Did I bend something when jacking it up??? Please any help would be cool. Thanks 80K20

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Newbie

You help me out and I'll help you out!
    You need to readjust the striked bolt/pin on the door jamb. Get a hex or allen socket and loosen the bolt. Open and close the door adjusting the bolt until you are happy with it then tighten down the bolt. Because you installed new bushings, the door was aligned to the old bushings. Probally were original also! Yes, they will get softer after a while. You won't notice the stiff ride in a few weeks.
    I E-mailed Energy Suspensions in California and they never did respond to my questions.
    Seen your post and so...
    Give me the e-mail address please of the place you bought your bushings from. I am stationed in South Korea and we have no 4x4 shops here. I need to buy the body/cab bushings and sway bar bushings. I tried to find a 4x4 shop on the WEB that has bushings for sale but no luck. How difficult was it to swap the bushings? What did you have to do? Any tips?
    Thanks!

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

3. Ok, I will try that. Now for you. I got my bushings from a local parts store, so I dont know how much help I am going to be, but let me try. Did you try www.4wpw.com ? http://www.4wheelparts.com/product1.asp?imclass=ENE&cat=SUS&id=WJ1TA38H0MSR2GBS00AKHLV8EBP329H2 There the link to there, Energy Suspension stuff. There are no real tips, the instructions tell you everything you need to know. I used a 1 1/2' Stump (cut flat on both sides) and a 12 Ton bottle jack to lift my body up. In the instructions it will tell you that you need to loosed all the mounts on one side, do them and then, keep them loose and do the other side. I hope I can be of any help. I just remembered, I know where you can get them. Kevin that owns Sierra Offroad, he sponsors us (The Nor Cal Big Dawgs). Call him, he can get you anything. His number is 209-533-9120 and tell him that I sent you, form the Nor Cal Big Dawgs. Let me know how it all works out. -80K20

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Do you have to pull up carpet or anything when you did this project? Is all the work done from underneath?

Thanks.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On a Blazer you will proably need to pull up the rear carpet. just at the tail gate and should be able to fold it back enough the get at the bolts without having to take the seat out.. You might be able to lift the body enough but were talking 5-6 inches so it would be much safter to pull the carpet. The center bed bolts are tack welded and you will need to cut that. Die grinder works best.
    I too noticed the vibration when I went polly. Seems to get better after a few weeks. I used Daystars from www.offroaddesign.com

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got my bushings also from www.summitracing.com ..I noticed a little bit more vibration. The K5 has a lot less body roll,and more tightness to it. I'm very happy with the results.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any time you replace worn bushings with new ones you will notice a stiffer ride and "increased vibration" due to the new mounts NOT being worn out. New rubber is just about as stiff (notice I did not say exactly) as poly, they just won't wear out as quickly.