Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new exhaust!!! But now some concerns.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, May 7, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

First, HELL YEAH!!! I love the new sound and power I have /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Got the top end Dynomax system from the manifolds back. 2 1/2" all the way.

But the first time I drove it, got to work, got out to look underneath it and the mufflers were making a cracking and popping sound and there was blue smoke all over. ie. around the mufflers, coming out the tailpipes.

I didn't think too much of it, a couple of guys from work thought it was probably just some oil burning off of it.

Got home and just took my little bros for a rip around the block and under WOT I was blowing heavy blue smoke /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The smoke stopped when I let off of the throttle but started back up again as soon as I hammered it. Got out and looked underneath and I could smell something that smelled like wax burning.

WTF?... It has never smoked before, only has about 20k miles on it since the rebuild, and I have never noticed the smell before either.

The smoke was bad too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Like the whole street was filled with it. Is this the exhaust or my engine or what.

As you can imagine I'm trippin pretty bad over this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thnx
    ~Max

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps it was a coating that is burning up. Some things that may surface rust on the shelf or in the box are coated with stuff. If it doesn't go away soon, I'd be concerned too. You don't think ripping around at WOT had an affect on motor , do you? I'd say valve seals if it doesn't go away /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I use WOT on a regular basis, so no I don't think that has anything to do with it. Like I said it has never smoked at all before, but this time the entire street was filled with it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Made me sick to my stomach when I looked in the rearview...

4. pauly383

Lets see if anyone has an idea. The coating thing sounds like the culprit, but I re-read your post and it sounds like its been driven enough to burn it all off. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

From what i read, it smokes worse when on the throttle, i'd say there's something wrong with the motor that let go or something, is the smoke coming out of the pipes? If so, something broke internally.

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

The smoke does come out the tailpipes. I have only driven it maybe 5km if that. I live very close to both work and the exhaust shop.

If this is say the valve seals, is it bad for me to be driving it then? This is my DD so I would hate to do something stupid to it through ignorance.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine didn't smoke but it did smell funny (burnt) for about a week (100 miles) all exhausts smell funny when you first install them. Hope thats all it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Well if it was running good before you put the new exhaust, I would think it would be something in the new exhaust. You said the mufflers were making a popping noise. Do the mufflers themselves show an indication of a flow direction (like an arrow stamped on them or something). My first thought was maybe they are on backwards and causing a restriction, which would in turn create alot of heat and actually be frying the muffler inside. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Probably just the anti-rust oil/coating that's on the pipes and muffs. Everytime I've had a new system, it'll do that for a few days...

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok guys /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif just went out and took her offroading and she was fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No more blue smoke clouds /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Still have that smell going on but I can live with that for sure. I'm guessing it won't last too long.

Just the sweet, sweet sound of my new exhuast /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok guys just went out and took her offroading and she was fine No more blue smoke clouds Still have that smell going on but I can live with that for sure. I'm guessing it won't last too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad the smokes gone. Smell should fade away. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

What part number did you use to get the 2 1/2 complete exhaust?

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the smell can be something aweful. My Thorley Try-Y's smelled like sh!t for about 500 miles..I always was looking for melted stuff in the engine compartment.

Im my Jeep, I put a ful Dynomax exhaust in (Cat, muffler and Tailpipe) and that stunk BIG TIME...At times smelled like a forest fire b/c of the stickers burning off.

Chris

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I didn't use a part #. I just went down to the local minute muffler and told them I wanted the best exhaust system they had. The guy recomended the dynomax, I researched it and decided to go for it. $562cnd installed with all the parts and labour included. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I was quite pleased.

No cats with it either

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You got raped, especially if there were no cats involved in it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You got raped, especially if there were no cats involved in it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now...you ever been to Canada?

Canadian money doesn't go very far...lol
    -T

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif DOH !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

My bad, didn't see that.

Actually i saw the cnd, but didn't put it all together and realize what it meant.

19. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif DOH !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

My bad, didn't see that.

Actually i saw the cnd, but didn't put it all together and realize what it meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be happy you're not in California!
    -T

20. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

yeah parts up here are usually more just due to the fact that they have to be shipped and then the border taxes etc. It would almost be worth getting a US mailbox and driving down to pick up a lot of the stuff.

But I do think for all the parts and the install it was a fair deal. My buddy paid $700 about 3 years ago for the same set-up.