Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new motor today... 86 block... have a few questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I had them use an 86 block with my new motor, cuz i thought the one piece rear main seal was better... I didnt know they actually made a kit so people could convert to two piece rear main seals... Anyway Does anyone know where i can get the plate that goes behind the Flex plate so the oil pan will seal? Or the part that goes into the block so i can Screw in my oil filter?

Im tryin to get this motor in my truck and broken in so i can go to Sand Lake for the 4th..... and i didnt factor in the little odds and ends that i never seem to have figured out... Thx. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have the correct oil pan? I can't recall any "plate" that seals it to the back of the engine.

Did the engine rebuilder leave off the oil filter adapter? Or did they use an engine block that came from an application that had a factory oil cooler? The adapter block for the oil cooler will have two threaded holes in it, facing towards the front of the engine. Either way, you have a couple of options. Go junkyard scrounging for an oil filter adapter, or buy a remote oil filter kit which moves the oil filter up into the engine bay. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure if those kits adapt to the existing oil filter mount or if they mount directly to the block, so this option might still require a trip to the JY. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Both Summit and Jegs sell the oil filter adapter (costs around $12-13 for stock one) or you can get an aftermarket on with the oil bypass blocked for $19.

Are you referring to the rear main seal adapter plate? (metal "plate" with seal in it that bolts to the back of the block)

4. Silver84k5

yea thats prollly the plate (rear main seal) All i know is i did a rear main on a pre 86 block with a 2 piece rear main and that block didnt have that plate......

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Ditto that on the plate...I have NEVER seen any plate between the flywheel and the block

6. Silver84k5

ahaha im a dumbass... I left my oil baffle at work last night and when i get to work today and when i get to work today and find the baffle, The plate that bolts to the block behind the flywheel is taped to the baffle ... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now i just need that oil filter adapter