Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new rear CV d-shaft, still got vibes...UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jun 27, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Specs:

6" lift
    Echobit flip, ORD zero rates
    36" tires

I got my new rear High Angle CV slip yoke in and I have shimmed the rear up 2* and the pinion looks directly inline with the d-shaft. However, I still have a vibration on the highway. If I remember correctly my d-shaft is running at 21*. How do I find what degree my yoke it at? I tried putting an angle finder on the yoke itself, but the yoke is at an angle also, giving me a false reading. Is there another spot on the yoke or housing to take a reading? Also, what degree should my pinion be at? I have been told 2-3* down from the d-shaft to accomodate axle wrap when I take off.

Anybody got an idea?

Thanks
    Ross

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Re: Got my new rear CV d-shaft, still got vibes...

You may have already been there and done it, but have you rotated the tires to see if that helps? Because it's at high speeds makes me think that could be it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Thought I'd throw it out there...

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

How much angle are you running in the rear? I have a cv shaft and I am running a 6 degree shim.
    The best way to the pinion angle is on the pinion. The pinion angle should be at close to 90 degree to your driveshaft. If the shaft is running @ 21 degrees your pinion yoke should be 2 degrees less than 111 or 109 degrees.

What kind of vibration is it? A steady vibration at a certain speed? Under acceleration, deceleration? Please provide a little more detail.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have a cv and same rear setup you have with no shims and no vibes

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The best way to the pinion angle is on the pinion. The pinion angle should be at close to 90 degree to your driveshaft. If the shaft is running @ 21 degrees your pinion yoke should be 2 degrees less than 111 or 109 degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Daniel said. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have it set up just right. Have you run it without the 2 degree shims? If it gives you the exact same results, you may be experiencing vibes from somewhere else.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How much angle are you running in the rear? I have a cv shaft and I am running a 6 degree shim.

What kind of vibration is it? A steady vibration at a certain speed? Under acceleration, deceleration? Please provide a little more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

It vibes a little around town not really that noticeable, but on the highway, it vibes really good at about 65-75 and it comes and goes. Sometimes it will drive fine and then its starts a shakin. The guy I bought my tires from said he had just balanced them. I think I will get them rebalanced and see what its like from there. I will also check my pinion angle too. I put some 6* shims in the rear and it appeared that the pinion was too high. I took it for a test drive and it tracked really bad. I didn't even dare take it on the highway. The center pins in the spring pack didnt even go through the shim, so I figured that the axle wasn't sitting straight under the truck.

I am going to check my pinion angle like DP is talking about and then go from there. I never did drive it without the 2* shims in it, so I might play with that idea too.

Thanks guys
    Ross

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a tire vibration to me. Usually a tire vibration comes on about 60 mph then goes away at slightly higher speed then it will come back. I would definitely check that first. If your rear pinion angle is that close (looks visibly in line) then it will not be the cause of the vibration.
    I don't think the driveshaft will cause it to shake like you describe... It is more of a harmonic vibration that usually comes on when you decelerate by barely pushing on the gas as the truck slows.

Try to balance the tires first.

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

UPDATE

I did the DP degree measurements and my d-shaft is at 19* and the pinion is at 109*. So the d-shaft and pinion are directly inline. Should I take out the 2* shims and see what it drives like or leave them in there?

Thanks