Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got my new street car(kinda)

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by DesertDueler, Sep 6, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I bought a street legal sandrail!! Its a 2 seater with a 1641 and a swing axle. The motor is built strong. Its got dual 44mm webbers, cam, and the whole thing was balanced and blueprinted. Its something to drive on the streeet /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

Sounds kinda interesting. I don't know much about sandrails, but its basically a dune buggy right? Good luck with it and don't raise too much hell /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I use to drive one years ago. was set up great with buggy brakes and all.... It was a great toy to play with....

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hey, sounds like you have a pretty neat toy. I have an older sand rail that Ive turned into a buggy. It should be all finished by the end of winter.

If you get some pics of yours I would love to see it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. DesertDueler

Its got drum brakes front and rear. I took it out this weekend, and played with it. I cracked the frame where the front suspension connects. I got bout 4 feet of air and landed on the front left tire. Its a blast to drive, and it climbs up hills like a 4x4. Just needs a little more throttle /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I will try and get some pics of it soon.

Dan

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

im in the middle of building a 200 hp karmen ghia, so ha. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Sweet car! I'd like to see the pictures of it!

Haha, I like the pic there, 79Jimmy - safe sex! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. DesertDueler

I can jump mine so ha /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Good luck on the ghia. My buddy has a 325 hp ghia. All motor.

9. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I knew a guy who had a turbocharged Ghia, he used to smoke Camaros...He would run side by side with them in 3rd gear...then shift to 4th and it was all over. It was a beautiful thing.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Right on dude! Sounds like a fun little toy! We gotta see some pic's of this!

Hehehehe! Jumping is fun. [​IMG]
    'Till ya break stuff. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yup im excited about the ghia, only problem right now is that the motor is in parts on the floor, Id be interested to hear how your buddy got 325hp out of a ghia.

12. 4x4dreamer

A high performance 1776cc motor can crank out some serious power, slap a turbo on that and hold on your arse or it'll leave you behind.

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My old next-door neighbor said that he used to have an old VW Bus with a built 1880(I think) motor in it. He said it would pick the front tires off the ground in first AND second!

14. 4x4dreamer

after you start going too much above 1600 (which is the block most of these engines are built on I believe) you start to lost reliability and life. I was told when I had my 71 superbeetle, that 1776 was about as big as you could go without risking too much with the engine. You can get an engine punched out to 2 litres, but I wouldn't use it for anything but drag racing. remember these are air/oil cooled engines, so you punch them out too much, the heat increases and they can't really cool themselves well enough. You can get Gobs of power out of a well built 1600 if you build it right.
    just my 2 cents.

15. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well I am am building a 2276 and a 1776 for my 69 ghia. For the 2276 cc engine I am using 94mm pistons and 82 mm stroke. Most of the displacment is acomplished through storoke. With a hot cam and GOOD heads you can make some crazy power without a turbo. They weigh about half as much as a chevelle so it doesnt take much power to move them. Even though they are air cooled their cooling systems are very efficient. Even with a hot engine with a little wokr you can make it run cool even on the hottest hottest day.

I wouldnt build up a super beetle anyway, they are to heavy to start with and not well suited to performance building.

16. 4x4dreamer

my Super rocked. Bone stock with a well used 1600 I outran a lot of cars. It's got Mcpherson front end for better handling at high speed. They're only a few inches longer than a normal beetle. It was the most fun car I've ever driven, until I got my Jimmy!

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I didn't think Danville got that hot, Does it there?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not start with the motor out of a Porsha ??? VW and Porsha are the same company like GMC and Chevrolet. I'd go with a Porsha pancake 6 to start off with.

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

VW motor used $200
    "Porsha" motor used $10,000
    Nothing similar except the general design.....there are some hotrod Gene Berg parts for sale in the Members for sale section...
    Gene Berg

20. 4x4dreamer

There's always a type 4 motor...which is very similar to some of the early Porsche motors...and they can put out nice power. They look cool too.