Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my new trailer today!!!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by gmcjimmy88, Mar 25, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Went and picked up my new Kaufman 20 foot steel deck car hualer today. Went 2 1/2 hours to get it but well worth it. It is a 20 foot (18 ft deck 2 ft dovetail) dual 4,00lbs axles, with brake on both axles. 7,00lbs jack on the front center of trailer, removable fenders, and stake pockets/rub rails down the sides. Pulled like a dream (empty), did not even know it was there. I could not wait to pull it with my truck on board. Within an hour of being home I had my Jimmy loaded up and down the road I went. Still pulled perfect barely noticed it all behind me. Here are some pics of each of the truck, trailer, and the combo. It was getting dark so the pics could be better. Will load more when I get them. Let me know what everyone thinks about how it sits. It looks realy level to me.

truck 075.jpg

truck 076.jpg

truck 077.jpg

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice very nice.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Hey, move down here so I can borrow it. Often.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the new toy. Looks nice. You should cross the straps. Attach the one on the RF of the truck to the LF of the trailer and vice-versa. Same thing on the back. I'm not sure on the science of it, but it provides for a more stable unit.

5. gmcjimmy88

Good info about the straps. They were just on there to move it into the driveway. I hope to get some new straps for actually towing it. The ones on it are borrowed from work, need to return them soon. Looking for some that go around the wheels like the car dollies have. If I can get the money. Will probally just use 5,000lbs cargo straps for awhile. Will use the straps for shorter trips within two hours. Once I am ready for tellico this fall though I will need the other straps.

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have used both the Keeper cargo straps from home depot, and the Summit car straps. Both sets have a 5K working load limit, but the HD one's tend to stretch alot quicker. I usually stop every 150 miles or so and check my stuff, and the straps do stretch a little. The summit ones usually give me one click of the ratchet at every other stop, but the HD one's gave me about three to four clicks at every stop. I now just carry them to use as backups.

7. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's the inside dimension/width between the fenders?

I like the idea of removable fenders, that's pretty cool.

8. gmcjimmy88

I want to say it is 82 inches between the fenders. I will check to make sure.