Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my OA Torch! Tanks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedDwarf, Dec 1, 2001.

1. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Got my Victor torch outfit today. Now I need tanks. I am going to rent for the first couple months. What does everybody here pay per month, and for the gas?

2. stump

stump Registered Member

Did you buy indivudual pieces or a "set"? Home Depot sells a Victor torch set I've been thinking about buying. I think it sells for about $170. Is that the one you bought? [​IMG]

Austin, Texas
    1991 S10 Blazer, 6 in. suspension, 3 in. body lift, mt's.

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Never payed for them buy the month. We have always payed on an exchange basis. Give them your old tanks and they give you knew ones that are full. I think its around 40$ but ours are pretty big tanks. Oh, and there is a deposit on the tanks too. Also, if you want your gas to last alot longer, get a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. Sprapy it all over the valves and look for bubles where the gas is leaking.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Another big mistake "new" gas guys do is when using a cutting torch they run too much O2, if you know someone who is a Pro get them to show you, I have to medium sized tanks and it runs around $38 to fill both on exchange basis.
    Good luck and remember you can use the O2 side for checking for intake leaks..past the torch around the edges slowly with just the O2 on and listen for a rpm increase.

Good Luck
    White Knight

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yup, that's probably the one. I went to Home Depot, and I could not find any torches. I ended up getting it at Tractor Supply Company. It has built in flame arrestors and fairly big guages(bigger than the Lincoln set). It seems well made, and it's USA.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Run propane, it's a little cooler and easier to use on thin stuff that we use on our trucks. Personally since it's cooler and i never cut any bigger than 1/4 and very, very rarely 1/2, it seems to cut much cleaner than acetlyne. - Doug

Doug Krebs

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Propane rocks...I've cut 2 1/2" plate with propane. It takes marginally longer to preheat the material if it's thick but the upside is huge. Number one it is inexpensive, number two is that a refill is at the nearest gas station, number three is you can use a BB-Q bottle instead of laying down the bucks for a tank. Acetylene is spendy, unstable, and over-rated.

Good working pressures for cutting...5-8 psi for fuel, 28-40 psi for O2. Even cutting 1" plate 40 psi is on the high side for what's necessary.

If you are going to use acetylene remeber the 1/7th rule. Never run the working pressure more then 1/7th of the pressure left in the bottle. 12 psi with 80 lbs left in the bottle is bad for example. When the bottle gets down to about 40 lbs it's time for a refill. Acetylene is not meant to be run dry...it will just draw the acetone up from the bottom of the bottle.

Propane does require a different cutting tip...commonly a two piece tip.

Also remember to chain the bottles so that they cannot fall. Either a sturdy cart or near a heavy steel table. Turn the bottles off when not in use...most fuels are heavier than air and will settle along the floor, just waiting for someone to drop a smoke or the next spark to hit the floor. So if you have a minor leak in a hose, or at the regulator you could be setting yourself up. Leaks are common...inspect all the lines and listen for hissing. The fuel end of things usually becomes rapidly apparent as it stinks no matter what type you use.

There's my two cents...hope it helps

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. KrebsATM02

One of our neighbors up at our lakehouse gave us this old propane torch he used ot use to cut railroad track when he worked for the railroad, WOW let me tell you that this thing will tear some stuff up!!!!!

Doug Krebs

9. stump

stump Registered Member

I apologize if this is a stupid question: When running propane instead of Acetylene, such as a BBQ tank, are the thread sizes and thread direction the same? Or is there a special adaptor needed to hook up a propane tank? Thanks....

[​IMG]S-10 Blazer....playin' with the big boys[​IMG]

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Stupid question part 2; propane cutting.
    What kind if torch is used? The same torch as the Acetine/O2? What bottle do you use for the O2? Twi piece tip?

To the original question.
    I recently priced out bottles and refill on a exchange basis. Larger tanks, guessing 4 foot tall, 7 or 8" dia. wre a little over 200 bucks, refills (exchange) was something like $35 (each?).- The real kicker, small tanks were $300. -Paxair

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I pay $6 a month apiece for rental, and I have a buddy that works at the local welding shop so I get them refilled for $10 apiece.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

12. tRustyK5

Propane cylinders intended for propane torches are left hand thread just like acetylene bottles. Even the propane bottle under my gas grill has internal left hand threads. For the gas grill it uses the coarse external threads though. I could thread a regulator onto it no problems.

As for tips the majority of torch tips made for propane are two piece tips. There is an inner part and an outer sleeve but it will work with any standard torch.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

13. tRustyK5

Twiztid, the O2 part of the equation stays the same...standard O2 bottle.

Rene

14. KrebsATM02

For all fuel gases, it is the same left handed thread. So yes a regulator for acetlyne will fit on a regular propane tank. Also you should get a propane tip, they are only like 10 or 12 bucks. - Doug

Doug Krebs

15. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have heard of using propane for cutting, but I never thought about using a BBQ tank. I'll check into that. A tip shouldn't cost that much huh?

16. tRustyK5

Tips are pretty inexpensive...get a set of tip cleaners while you're at it. A clean tip is probably the most important part of a good cutting set-up if you want clean cuts.

Rene

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, never considered propane. Can you weld with it? Or just cut?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

18. tRustyK5

It's best for cutting...the O2 really does all the work. The fuel (acetylene, propane or MAPP) just gets the material hot enough to begin the cut. In theory once the cut has begun you could turn off the fuel completely and it will continue to cut with just the oxygen stream. Cutting is just rapid oxidization of the steel.

For gas welding I'd use acetylene because it does run a bit hotter and gas welding is tedious at best.[​IMG]

Rene