Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my spool installed :) ***UPDATE***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

***update at bottom***

I decided on a spool for the ol' blazer and so far, I'm happy. The tire chirping is kinda wild, but it doesn't handle any different than a worn out gov-loc /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The install couldn't have been easier. tRustyK5 pm'd me the enitire process, I printed it out, and BLAM installed. The only thing that worries me, and I will see how it plays out over the next few days is that one of the adjuster rings didn't go all the way back. It's DANG close, but not dead on /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The rear end seems to sound okay though.

I got my spool from Overson Engineering and Machine. Randy is an AWESOME guy to work with and PERSONALLY MAKES all of the parts. www.ouversonengineering.com

Thanks go to
    K5Muddog for hooking me up with the 4.56 axle's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    My Neighbor Terry for helping get the drums off during the rebuild, and helping me turn the axle around /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    My Grandpa for his loan of the biggest bench vice I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    My wife for the patcience /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    My son, well, he just RAWKS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Rene (tRusty) for the instructions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Interco Tire for making tires that slide on pavement /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Got my spool installed :)

Very cool! I saw that spool the other day while surfing, I think the timing and price are both right. So, did you change axles? What are you running now?

All you need now is a winch and you're ready for the swamp! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hopefully I will install my spool yet today... well namely I will pull out my carrier and break out my brand new welder and go to town /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I know a solid rear can be fun driving around town, you get a lot of people looking at you like there is something wrong with your crap, once in a while a little throttle to demonstrate there isn't can do.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I went from a 10 bolt front with a loc-rite and a 14 rear with a gov loc and 4.10's to a 44 front open and a 14 rear with a spool and 4.56's. The BIG reason for the axle swap was the gears. I wanted/needed the 4.56's. I did something this morning in my truck I haven't done in about 3 years. I broke the speed limit /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I looked down and was doing 85 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Amazing what getting a truck back in a decent powerband can do.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hopefully I will install my spool yet today... well namely I will pull out my carrier and break out my brand new welder and go to town /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I know a solid rear can be fun driving around town, you get a lot of people looking at you like there is something wrong with your crap, once in a while a little throttle to demonstrate there isn't can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my original plan, but I'm kinda glad I didn't now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The spool was a lot easier to instal and I don't have to worry about my birdcrap welding /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You might even see your mpg improve with the new gears since you wont have to be standing on the throttle all the time.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You might even see your mpg improve with the new gears since you wont have to be standing on the throttle all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

From 3 to 4? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

You are right on that one, I'm pretty sure it's going to help a TON. I drove 75% of the time in Drive rather than OD to be able to stay up to speed. This, so far, is better. This is the second trip out on this axle, so I'll no more as I go, the first ended in a blown rear u-joint at 75 mph /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Got that fixed, and we'll try again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good job Kyle!

I didn't mention that if the adjuster won't quite make it all the way back to it's original spot that a couple smacks with a big deadblow hammer on the carrier will help 'seat' it better.

Check to make sure the diff isn't getting hot while driving, at least not hotter than normal.

Rene

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good job Kyle!

I didn't mention that if the adjuster won't quite make it all the way back to it's original spot that a couple smacks with a big deadblow hammer on the carrier will help 'seat' it better.

Check to make sure the diff isn't getting hot while driving, at least not hotter than normal.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna see if I can get it to fully pull around this weekend. It's not but about a hole off on the adjuster, but I still like to be thourough /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The diff isn't hot at all so far, actually, it is cooler than my old 4.10 14 that I pulled (yep, I layed under my truck in the parking lot this AM feeling of it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

The hardest part of the whole instal was trying to keep the races in place while I set the carrier back in. That was a smashed finger waiting to happen /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. tRustyK5

Those carriers are heavy. I dropped one on my big toe a couple years back and broke my toe, it fell out of the vise. I damn near puked from the pain...

What ya doing playing with a 14 bolt anyways? I thought you were gonna run Rocks front and rear?

Rene

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Those carriers are heavy. I dropped one on my big toe a couple years back and broke my toe, it fell out of the vise. I damn near puked from the pain...

What ya doing playing with a 14 bolt anyways? I thought you were gonna run Rocks front and rear?

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I was all kinds of lucky that the axle was sitting on jackstands. Didn't have to *catch* it.

I'm still going with rocks, but I'm still driving this thing everyday (and yet I install a spool /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif ) Once the DD part of the truck is retired, then the fun begins. I installed the spool, honestly, for the heck of it. I wanted one, and figured WTH, do it. If I run across a 60 with 4.56's while I'm still driving it, I'll install that too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I'm STILL going to run rocks. I figure anything less than 2 1/2 ton is just kids stuff. Besides that, 49" Iroks are calling my name, can you hear them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I was all kinds of lucky that the axle was sitting on jackstands. Didn't have to *catch* it.

I'm still going with rocks, but I'm still driving this thing everyday (and yet I install a spool /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif ) Once the DD part of the truck is retired, then the fun begins. I installed the spool, honestly, for the heck of it. I wanted one, and figured WTH, do it. If I run across a 60 with 4.56's while I'm still driving it, I'll install that too /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but I'm STILL going to run rocks. I figure anything less than 2 1/2 ton is just kids stuff. Besides that, 49" Iroks are calling my name, can you hear them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't 49's calling you...that's your wife yelling to get you to finish painting the house. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2.5 Rocks and 49's...you're gonna need a ladder and training wheels! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

J/K Kyle.

Rene

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't 49's calling you...that's your wife yelling to get you to finish painting the house. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2.5 Rocks and 49's...you're gonna need a ladder and training wheels! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

J/K Kyle.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    My wife IS calling me telling me to finish the house /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I've used almost 16 gallons so far and I'm STILL not done. I've got one heck of a tan though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've decided to go all out. Not to mention, I'm only gonna lift is 8" with the suspension, plus my 1" body and then make the body fit around everything else /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This is gonna be UGLY /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I can get a new bender soon /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll get a bunch more done now. I'm planning on a new DD next summer and a new trail rig by next fall /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif NOW, using my handy dandy POPE to REAL WORLD calculator, that means by the year 2039, I'll finally be done /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2.5s and 49s have been calling my name since Bloomsburg, doubt it will come about though.

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2.5s and 49s have been calling my name

[/ QUOTE ]

*pointing to the computer and hollering at my wife*

SEE HONEY, It's NOT just me!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Freaky how they do that isn't it?

16. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    NOW, using my handy dandy POPE to REAL WORLD calculator, that means by the year 2039, I'll finally be done

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the destination that counts, rather the journey itself...

My goal is to never be 'done', because then it would probably be for sale.

Rene

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SEE HONEY, It's NOT just me!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd leave out the part when you tell your wife that I'm 18, have no children, few bills and most of my money goes to the K5 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

sounds sweet on what you did. But I have a few questions for you or anyone who can answer them for me.

1. Ok so how does it drive on the road with the spool in?
    2. How does it do on turns?
    3. Is a spool just like if you welded your spyder gears?
    4. Is it safer than welding your diff?

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds sweet on what you did. But I have a few questions for you or anyone who can answer them for me.

1. Ok so how does it drive on the road with the spool in?
    2. How does it do on turns?
    3. Is a spool just like if you welded your spyder gears?
    4. Is it safer than welding your diff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive 60 miles a day highway and it is no different that the gov loc I had. Now, low speed the tires talk to you. Turning radius is down a little on pavement, but not so much that it bugs me. So far, I've got no regrets.

3. Yep.
    4. Safer? Tough saying. I did it because I don't have a big enough welder, or the time and patience to weld one. For $200 I get one that will never break and was easy to instal. That was my thinking.