Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got My trailer Home!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DBLAZER, Aug 22, 2002.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well, I got my new, new to me, trailer home today. Man am I just a happy camper. However, holy cow it barely fits in my backyard. The guy a bought it from dropped it off at my house before I got home, and I don't have a goosneck hich inmy truck yet, sogetting it in my back yard was no easy task. I lowered the neck down onto my reciever and backed it in. I backed it up to the tree that is about 30 feet from the gate. I let the trailer barely touch the tree and tried to close my gate, one side would swing closed, the other hit the neck. [​IMG]So I repositioned the neck over a few inches and then the it did the oposite, so I moved back over about 2 inches and both sides closed!![​IMG]So I am happy.

I now need to decide what hich I am gonna get. The only ones I can find are the hidden tyoe. I dont really care about that, but if it's my only option, then I will go with it.
    Anyways, just wanted to share, cause I am HAPPY[​IMG]

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It cost me $375 for one of those hidden hitches including installation. But I needed the fold down type so I could still haul a slide in camper. If you dont care about that all you need is a 18" x 34" plate about 5/8 or 3/4" thick and mount a 2-5/16" ball in the spot you want then bolt down the plate to the frame. That would be about $50-75 in materials at the worst plus more time doing the install yourself.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My goosneck hitch is recessed into bed of the truck. Its out of the way but the hole likes to collect stuff.

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I think that is what I am going to do. Just bolt a plate up. I am not looking for anything fancy right now. Any extra cash is going to my rig so I can hopefully be wheeling by 2003!!!

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have 2 plates already made up (one came off of a 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4). If they were not so freekin heavy you would be more than welcome to have one if you paid shipping. Just dont know if I could ship one because of the weight.

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Do you know the weight???? I will do that. It couldn't be anymore expensive than buying and building!!

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What's goin on with your rig these days, nash?

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

aw man, don't make me cry It is coming along, very slowly. My Klune V came intoday, I am swinging by the shop to pick it up tomorrow so that is a cool thing. Now I just need to drum up the money for my DOM tubing to build my arms. Aftert that, get the drivelines built and I am wheeling again. Oh yah, get the hydro steering up and running and the new rear end under her. The good thing is that when I pull it in the shop I will have everything I need to get it done, knock on wood!!!! Oh yah, I also need to by the DOM to complete the cage and the tube front end! But as soon as I pullmy old rear end out, I will have a 14 bolt for sale. Goes to the highest bidder!!!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Are you running a Klune AND the atlas???

Holy gearing batman!

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yah, now I will be able to have a 2.7 low, a 3.8 low, and a 20.26 low range. Coupled with the tranny and rear end. I will have the options of 43.95 to 1 low range 4x4, 59.65 to 1 lower range and a 167 to one lowest range.

Add to that I will be able to all of the above functions in 2 wheel rear and 2 wheel front!!!!!

I ilike the ability I will have to be able to pick and choos. Before, in the mud and sand I was either to too low of gear or too high. I think now with the Klune in low and the Atlass in high I will be able to do better in the deep mud and sand.

It is gonna be fun., the truck is going to be a whole new experience for me. The longer wheel base, the coil springs the bobbed rear end, new center of gravity, hydraulic steering, disc brakes all around. new seats, new storage. new cage. The end result will be worth the wait, but man what a long time coming.
    That is about it. As soon as it is ready it WILL be on the trails, and I mean as SOOOOOON as its ready!!!