Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got my truck broken into got question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

k some assholes broke my driverside triangle window to steal my sub box with 3 12's in it. great...:( so my question is how hard it it to fix and can a passenger side triangle work or is it curved??? thanks guys so is the glass the same on both sides???

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

it isnt too hard to remove the vent window. Just lower your window, remove the 3 screws that are on top of the door. Then remove the inner door panel, (plastic thingy) above the window regulator theres a hole. Remove the bolt from there and farther down on the door theres another bolt, remove that too. Then you *should* be able to wiggle the entire assy out.

Srry bout what happend. Best of luck to you.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dude that sucks...

I havent had a wing window since 1993... and no rust from it yet.. :D

yes those 3 screws and door panel and your good to go to get it out.... look for one in the junkyard.... im holding out till I get a crew cab for my swap;)

4. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Hey george,
    I happen to have a pair of vent windows(frames included) from a pair of donor doors. I basically have complete driver and passenger door guts. If you're interested let me know.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

That sucks!

My buddies band van just got broken into this week, same way. They popped the passenger vent open, opened the door and walked off with 7,000 worth of custom guitars, amps, etc. One guy just got his custom 1800.00 guitar in last week, the one he waited OVER A YEAR for. Gone. ****ers.

Is there a way to keep these vent windows from being so easy to pry open?

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well even if you didnt have a vent window.. if they want in they will get in...

my bro in law had a set of t-tops stolen off his vette 5 times.... he even put the car up against a dumpster where they could remotely get to the alarm wires... well they uncovered the car... stole the t-tops and so nicely put the car cover back on..... :doah:

keep an eye out on ebay!!!!!!!!!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

locks...

They sell vent window locks..my 82 K20 has one,the knob was missing off the vent window when I bought the truck,and I was too lazy to find another one and fix it..I had the locks from another vehicle my friend scrapped,so I just used one of them instead..

If my vent windows got busted,I'd just weld sheet metal over the frame of it,instead of replacing it..I never use them anyway!--not to mention the fact nearly ALL break ins are VIA the vent window!....I tried replacing one once,it was a hoar---maybe it was just ME,but I felt it was more bother than it was worth!..I'd put a whole door on,its easier!...:rolleyes:

I'm not much good at doing glass replacement..I hated pulling windows out at the boneyard...nearly got my fingers chopped off many times on power windows,when you remove the motor, the window slams down like a gulliotine under heavy spring tension!--and my hands looked like I'd been fondling barbed wire after each one I pulled...:doah:

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

its not that hard i replaced the passengers side vent on my 77 k-5 in the dark, took me like 3 hours but i got it, i took the whole window out made the job alot less difficult.

9. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Just replace the vent window assembly with one from a junk yard truck. Takes like 20 min.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Hmmm... now that's an interesting idea. :thinking:

I'm going to have to ponder that one out.

11. armyfiredawg

armyfiredawg Registered Member

That same thing happened to me a few years back. CD Player, CB, CD's and even a oil funnel but left the golf clubs. Ahh memories....

12. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

thanks guys for all of the help so far but im still wondering if both vent windows are the same??? like do they have a curve to them or are they straight pieces of glass?? i also like the idea of filling it in with metal ny pics?? thanks guys

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

No, they are not the same. Yes, they are curved. You can find used ones on eBay (entire assembly or just glass) or brand new ones from LMC and Chevy Duty.

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Head to Pick Your Part on the West end, just South of Highway 16 on 184th street, be like 20 bucks there, and you can tell me if they have any 73-87 4x4s :p:

Or, if it is closer, Kar Bashers just North of Highway 16 on Cloverbar Road (North of Sherwood Park) has tons of 73-86 trucks with vent windows. Probally get it for 10 - 15 bucks there.

15. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Like gold wing said they are not the same, I checked my LMC catalog to be sure. I have the whole assembly if you want it. email me at shick_t2(at)yahoo(dot)com Sorry about the address, just trying to avoid spam. Please put a descriptive title in it so it doesnt get deleted.