Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got My Tuff country Springs in...Whoo-Hoo! One question for flex....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Mar 9, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Should I dissasemble these and round the corners before I install? Like Depdog was talking about doing with the rears? I already plan on this in the rear, but what about these brand spankin new units? Gonna install Sunday. Any insight appreciated as always!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Ha Ha dude, one step ahead of you. I took mine apart the day I got them and replaced the band clamps with bolt style for better flex. Last week I took them back apart and rounded the edges on them like I did the rear ones. Mine were such a flat cut that they were cutting up the teflon insterts between the leaves. I had to replace 4 of 6 inserts on each leaf. Work great now.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

My new Tuff Country Springs are in the garage waiting to go on,,, what the heck are you guys talking about?
    Do you have a pic of what you're doing? What "corners"? The whole edge of each leaf along both sides?

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

You have sinch style clamps holding the leaf spring packs together, least mine did on the front, I took that leaf and cut off the rivet and removed the cynch style clamp and had new bolt style clamps made and installed at my local spring shop.

On the grinding thing. I use a 4" grinder with a medium sanding disk on it. The edges we are talking about are where the Teflon pads are attached to the leaf springs. The bottom edges that are on the pads and against the next leaf down are square cut and sharp. I round the edges so that they dont bite into the pad and make it easier to rub on the next leaf down without as much binding. The sharp edges tend to bite and hinder flex.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks bud, think that's what I'm gonna do. But ran across a deal on a '75 with a 44 and 12 Bolt built with 4.56s and posis...May be putting this lift on that truck if I can pull off the loan!!! We will see. I sure would like the BUILT half ton axles more than the 3/4 ton units I have now. We'll see after today though.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. Marlboro

Marlboro Registered Member

Curious,

What don't you like about the 3/4 ton axles..?? Too many damn lug nuts..LoL... :))

Just was curious..

Mike
    81 K-5