Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my winch installed... finally! **UPDATED w/PICS**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 6, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Before my big offroading trip to Colorado this summer, I bought a Warn HS9500 for the rig. Because I wanted to install it between the frame rails, I decided to add more body lift for better clearance. Well, I installed the body lift and had a guy check out the rig for the custom mount he was going to make for me. Then, 10 days before my trip, the engine went! The winch has been sitting in my garage since then (and that was June)!

I finally got it mounted. The guys at RockTek Engineering did a great job with the mount. They welded a plate between the rails on the lower part of it. They trimmed the upper lip of the frame a little so they could center the drum. Everything looks great. They cut the center out of the lower tube of my dual tube bumper for the roller fairlead. Even with the lights mounted to the top tube, I can still easily access the winch and the handle from the top.

I cut out the upper-right corner of my grille and mounted the control box flush with the front of the grille. I then made some custom cables to run down to the winch and the secondary battery. Everything looks really good.

I went up to the local elementary school around 7:30 last night and did the initial winch cable stretch using one of their light poles. I hope to have a write-up with pictures on one of my websites within a week or so!

So cool to finally have that sucker installed! Now its on to the D60 and the 14BFF!

**UPDATE - See lower posts for pics.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Got my winch installed... finally!

I'd like to check out that mount. I looked at that once but decided to keep it on the bumper to keep it out of the water. Looking forward to the writeup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I had originally wanted to mount it across the top of the frame rails. But, with the radiator, grille, oil cooler, and so forth, there just wasn't the room. Between the frame rails works pretty good. It is no lower than the bottom of the frame rail. Most bumpers don't sit much higher than that anyway, so I don't think you would be any more vulnerable to water/mud/whatever than you are now. I will post some pics tonight before the write-up.

4. Sandman

I used to have my winch down there and I was amazed how many times I had to reach through the water to get it. Its also what you do of course. It now sits slightly higher than the frame rails and I seem to stop before it goes under. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heres a side pic of it.

[​IMG]

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here are a few pics...

Due to the width of the frame and the need to center the drum, the upper frame rail had to be slightly modified
    [​IMG]

A plate of steel was welded across the bottom of the frame rails to secure the winch on a level plane
    [​IMG]

The roller fairlead mount was welded together and bolted to the winch platform using tacked nuts. This allows for the removal of the fairlead if necessary without having to remove the entire platform (which is welded to the frame!).
    [​IMG]

For ease of access, I attached the control box to the radiator support. I cut out a spot of the grille and made some custom mounts so the box would be flush with the grille. I ran custom wires to the winch as well as through the support to my secondary battery.
    [​IMG]

Here is a final shot with the bumper back in place as well. It was late before I got it all finished. You can see where the lower tube of the bumper was cut for the fairlead. I still have adequate access to the winch from the top. I can also remove the fairlead and then the winch without having to pull the bumper. I also had some holes drilled in the bumper brackets that allow for the attachment of some shackles so I don't have to use front tow hooks.
    [​IMG]

I am quite pleased.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Wow, I really like how that turned out! Do ya mind if I ask how much they charged to fab up the mount like that?

7. Sandman

That looks pretty nice. I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

they had to remove the bumper and cut it. They cut the frame. Fabbed up the winch mount and the roller fairlead mount. Welded everything together (very clean and secure, too). Bolted the winch and fairlead in place and re-attached the bumper. All that ran me a little over $200 including parts and labor. Can't beat the deal or the quality.

9. Sandman

Thats not bad for the labor involved.